Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

dissapointed...

26 posts / 240 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

well well...

I bought what I though and was told was a 3.91 LSD. I Installed it into my car like usualy, took a weekend.

I got to test drive and i notice no difference whatsoever! The car feels the exact same as it was before. I jacked her up, both wheels go foreward so it is deffinately limited slip. My thinking it that it could be the same ratio as before, but i sure hope not!

as for markings on the diff they were un readable, no matter what i did i could not identify what the numbers said.

Ive got a 0-60 timer in my car and the reading is still 10.5 (same as before). How much improvement should a 3.91 make over a 3.64? Is it improvemnt you can feel? cause i sure cant feel a thing!

Guest Anonymous

Remove the cover and count the number of teeth.

40 on the ring and 11 ont the pinion is 3.64

39 and 10 is 3.90

some are 43/11 too.

Pat Allen

Guest Anonymous

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

IM002253.jpg

shaft. If it spins just over 3.5 times = 3.64 if it almost goes around 4 times = 3.91. I think I have that corect, maybe the other way around. Oh well I am a Hopkins grad....

When I switched to a 3.91 LSD all I noticed was that I shifted sooner and more often, so I switched to a 3.64 LSD and very happy with it with my grandpa driving style.

My NC engineer friend who went to UVA claims I should have noticed a difference but you know those WAHOOS.

Wonder what Mr. Jefferson would have said?

Guest Anonymous

Mechanical Advantage- originally thought to use 'leverage', but m.a. is more accurate.

personally, the 3.64 lsd is more desireable- with a small cam and high compression, you can make the torque to supplant low gearing. 3.64 rear end and o.d. 5 spd, you can cruise with modern cars.

rj

Guest Anonymous

Also, what was a 25% LSD 25 years ago, might be only 5 or 10% today. Clutch dics do wear out.

Guest Anonymous

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

Did you notice any improvement in power to the wheels coming out of corners? Less "chirping"? I'm planning a doing a swap to LSD and that is what I'll looking for.

Guest Anonymous

Ill run these tests tomorow morning and let you guys know. No this diff wanst bought off ebay, i purchased it private sale.

Well my plan is to run a 284 degree cam with a 3.91 rear end. I have a 5 spd tranny and all the little goodies. is this good? goin with a higher rear end? I plan on revvin pretty high. thank you.

Guest Anonymous

yes i did notice improvemnt in the corners! but no improvements goin dead ahead!...unfortunately.

Hey btw, will wreckers ever trade products?

Guest Anonymous

And people with high power engines like them better.