• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shit Outta Luck - Removed Cylinder Head

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Looks like one of my pistons is bad (possible carbon particle in cylinder) and has scraped a gash on a cylinder wall. My brother says the rings are pretty much toast.

I have the option of paying a little under $400, which I don't have, for a Mahle piston set after getting the cylinders bored 1/2mm.

Or I can have the head with new valve stem seals put back on without doing any bottom end work, and hope the smoking goes away at least a little bit.

I got this car around April 22nd and drove it from Reno to So-Cal (~500 miles) without a hitch, and the car drove splendidly. Put a Pertronix on and it has felt even more smooth. The car has 108k (brother's estimation due to tight steering/general condition of the car). The color was originally a blue (not sure which) and was painted over with a shoddy job, but still looks decent. Only recently I have gotten a major vacuum leak which made the car die below 1000rpm / no idling.

I suppose the best thing to do would be take the engine out while it's apart and spend more money I don't have to fix it.

Bah. Pretty bummed.

Pics:

DSC05372.JPG

DSC05373.JPG

DSC05374.JPG

DSC05375.JPG

DSC05376.JPG

DSC05377.JPG

DSC05378.JPG

Guest Anonymous

my brother says that the engine must have been sitting for a while at some time

there appears to be rust marks on the cylinder walls as well

Guest Anonymous

Why did you take it apert then ?

Your brother seems to know alot about this motor and stuff - let him continue to 'rebuild' the motor and YES, DO NOT PUT IT TOGETHER WITHOUT REMOVING THE PISTONS AND MACHINING THE CYLINDERS AND FITTING NEW RINGS - THEN THE HEAD - AND TONS OF TIME AND ENERGY AND M O N E Y TO CLEAN THAT MESS UP.

GO TO BED AND MAKE SOME MONEY IN THE MORNING.

Guest Anonymous

You need new valve stem seals anyway so do that and throw the head on, all it costs you is $30 or so for a head gasket. Pick that chunk out that caused the damage, it may run OK at least till you can save up for a rebuild, Then you won't have to skimp on the things it needs to be rebuilt right. Or better idea, run it till you find a decent used engine. I have seen engines with worse damage than that run quite well for a long time, these are well made engines to start with.

The richy rich perfectionist types will be getting high blood pressure about now but that's good for them once in a while.

Guest Anonymous

i took it apart in hopes that the cylinders and pistons/rings would be in decent shape

i wanted to replace the head gasket because it was leaking, and rebuild the carb as well

i was also hoping that replacing the valve stem seals would help the car's smoking problem a bit, too

obviously you can't expect too much in your favor

Guest Anonymous

You must pull out this piston, sounds like the usual ring land that gave up and then the ring could be broken as well. Very common on 02 engine (tired)

Easy enough to do, you can remove the oil pan without pulling out the block. Then just unbolt the connecting rod. Pull it out, post a picture to show it to all of us.

Pat Allen