• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone tried any other type of A/C system other than Fri

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

d10d.jpg?phMas1CBiz894g4V

URL: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/my73bimmer/album?.dir=1ce7&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/my73bimmer/my_photos

the Behr A/C in their '02s? Could one of those Aftermarket A/C unit could work in a 2002 like the ones in VintageAir.com ? Summer here in florida gets around 94 degrees and even opening all the windows; it still gets extremely hot. thanks.

Guest Anonymous

they came out at the end of '02 production so aren't very common. Supposedly good air flow, lots of cold air etc. Main drawback is the blower housing intrudes into the passenger's footwell...

Mike

Guest Anonymous

HugoMe2070405.jpg

I have a FrigiKing Unit that worked initially when I bought the car in '98...but it lost its R12 charge when my son had an accident...I just haven't had time to try thr Freeze 12 stuff.

Guest Anonymous

...maybe other parts to work. I heard it was a pretty rare option from a company out of texas found on a few cars in the South East. It has three vents coming out of the dash. I think they had to cut the dash and the blower unit is under the passanger side of the dash. I looked an the compressor is gone, but there is a place to put the belt and some pipes so I might hook it up, but it's a little down the list...

There are a bunch of console based ones, but I think getting all the parts together for a full install would be pretty expensive, and I'm not sure what all you would need.

Guest Anonymous

wondering if one of th0se aftermarket units from VintageAir could fit on a 2002 that uses R134a freon instead of the R12.

Guest Anonymous

It was a little wider, Behr ther 2nd best, I would think that with rotary compressor and ne hi eff evporator and condinsor, you could get a decent unit running, I have looked a the vintage air stuff and it looks too big.

Guest Anonymous

Picture of the Frigiking Mark IV system.

This is the Frigiking system available for early 02s. It was available to BMW dealers across the US. My car was originally sold in the Lsos Angeles area of California and the original owner had the Mark IV system installed by the dealer. It is an early 1969 2002. So, this system is not limited to the south east.

It was not very popular for a number of reasons:

1) The blower system replaces the glovebox

2) The vents are on the far side of the car, so the lefthand side of the driver doesn't get cooled off (although, the console types do a great job of icing your elbows... but that is about all).

3) You have to cut holes in the dash to run air to the vents.

We are working on getting the Frigiking Mark IV system in the 69 2002 working. It seems to work well and I cannot wait to get the car with functioning AC.

If someone has one of these Mark IV systems they don't want anymore, then I am interested in it -- especially if it has the original control switchs and knobs (the fan switch was replaced with a 3-position toggle swtich on mine).

Brian

Guest Anonymous

It gets well over 100 here in Orange County CA during the summer, so AC is really nice. FWIW, so is a properly setup cooling system. Curt Ingraham's radiators are a must! I really like the late radiator with the plastic housing on the back to help the fan pull air through the radiator in addition to 3-row cores (or large tubing 2-core).

Try to make sure the fan in front of the radiator doesn't create a large barrier to airflow too.

The Clardy has the best blower assembly, a larger coil system after the evaporator, and the vents can be directed independently.

The Behr is more common. However the blower and post-evaporator coil is smaller than the Clardy and there is only one large vent in the center with 2 horizontal controls (one for driver and one for passenger, but only one vertical setting).

The console version of the Frigiking has a smaller blower than the Behr, but the coil is almost the same size. The lower vent is so low that it is ineffective in many cases. However, you can control the two vents individually like the Clardy.

Then there is the Frigiking Mark IV I mention in my other post. This system is relatively uncommon as I indicated in that post. I have pictures of all 4 of these systems if you want to see it.

There is a local shop here in Santa Ana CA that does AC systems for a lot of the custom rod shops in LA and Orange County. They said, for about $2000, they can install a custom AC system in the 2002 with 4 vents, good airflow, and R134. I would recommend talking to a few rod fabricators in your area and see who they use. Even if you buy a used system, then you will still want one of these expert places help you install the system.

Cheers,

Brian

Guest Anonymous

If my measurements are correct, there is no way at all to fit any of them without losing the glovebox and stock heater box.