Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

funky rear end noises

6 posts / 90 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

I've seen a few posts about some rear end noises, and am experiencing a few myself:

On accel, I get this "whisteling" sound that goes away after a second or so. Fenders are rolled, tires aren't rubbing- any ideas?

Also, in steady state driving- theres the constant hissing sound from the rear. This happened immediately after installing my urethanes in the rear- and Im not sure if I incorrectly removed something causing some damage to any bearings or what not. The axles seem to be sitting correctly with no excessive wear on the boots.

I'm gonna take a peek at my wheel cylinders and do some rear drum brake checks- could something be rubbing there?

Any ideas would be aprpeciated.

Guest Anonymous

first time in the morning--and ends abruptly in mid-squeal, I'd suspect the driveshaft center support bearing. This'll be much more noticeable when the weather is cool/cold...

Mike

Guest Anonymous

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

at least i have that in my e30 immediatley after installing all poly back there. its transmitting noise the rubber absorbed before. im not sure hissing is the best description but its a steady dull noise

Guest Anonymous

With both rear wheels off the ground and the car FIRMLY supported on jackstands, start the car, put it in gear and then get underneath and observe. Carefully touch the center bearing and feel for roughness while the driveshaft is turning (BE CAREFUL!--stay away from the rotating driveshaft--it WILL hurt you!). If you can do this first thing in the morning when the car's sat all night, you might encounter the squealing syndrome described above.

Happy troubleshooting...

Mike

Guest Anonymous

With both rear wheels off the ground and the car FIRMLY supported on jackstands, start the car, put it in gear and then get underneath and observe. Carefully touch the center bearing and feel for roughness while the driveshaft is turning (BE CAREFUL!--stay away from the rotating driveshaft--it WILL hurt you!). If you can do this first thing in the morning when the car's sat all night, you might encounter the squealing syndrome described above.

Happy troubleshooting...

Mike