Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Any r-12 freon alternatives???

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

My a/c system has been functioning for 10 yrs without a charge...my site glass and lack of "cold" air tells me that I just need a little boost of freon. I was wondering if anyone has experience with any of the freon r-12 alternatives?? I do not need a full 134 retro-fit yet...Thanks.

Guest Anonymous

Yes, I have used Enviro-safe successfully on two vehicles, 1988 M5 and 1989 535i. If your system is in working order, you can purchase a kit, approx. $40 and works.

http://autorefrigerants.com/co00033.htms

Guest Anonymous

The majority of the R12 alternatives are in fact primarily R134a with additives needed to move the mineral oil used to lubricate the innards of your R12 system. R134a by itself is not compatible with mineral oil. If your system has been inop for 10 years suggest you have a leak check done by someone knowledgeable with the use of a vacuum pump. If it holds a vacuum and is otherwise servicable, refill with R12 and drive on. R12 by the way is not scarce and here in Huntsville is running between $38 to $45 a pound, cheaper than a proper conversion to R134a.

Earl

74 2002Lux

72 ,Volvo 1800ES

Guest Anonymous

If the A/C is working fine just have the R12 topped off.

Earl

Guest Anonymous

a can of freeze 12 ?

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://users.adelphia.net/~2002targa/bmw/page_01.htm

The best solution for this is order a ASE refrigeration booklet/test and get your EPA certification. The test is like 25 questions, and it's open book, you just read through the pamphlet and answer the questions. Send it in with something like a 15$ service fee and get your ASE/EPA car referigant cert. Once you have your certificate, you can legaly purchase R-12 on Ebay or other sources.

TK

Guest Anonymous

R12 is by far the best freon and if you still have it in your system, keep it in there. You can find r12 on ebay and if you look long enough you can find someone 'willing' to sell it to you without the proper credentials.

Brandon

'72 Tii

'73 Tii

Guest Anonymous

he gets it from old units and keeps it :)