Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Need to replace my rear wheel back plate. I know that I have

7 posts / 84 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

BMWwithNavarro1.jpg

to remove the axle castle nut so I'm asking what would be the best way to do this since I'm aware that there is a big force involved to loosen it. I have an Impact Wrench and could probably get the 24mm? socket but I don't think it has what it takes to loosen it up. Forseeing a possible breakage of the castlenuts currently on the car I went ahead and bought new ones (JIC).

Also, since I'm there, I might as well replace the bearings so any advice on this is welcomed - even if it's: This isn't a DIY kind of job.

TIA

Victor

BTW: My first option was to use the search feature but for some crazy reason, my computer hangs up and doesn't respond.

Guest Anonymous

just about everything. If that is not an option, and I don't think you will destroy the nut taking it off, use a good 1/2 drive socket, a breaking bar and a length of pipe over the breaking bar to loosen, some PB blaster a day prior never hurts. Make sure going back on you get the correct torque on there (verify what it is) or say goodbye to your wheel as it drives past you on the test drive.

Four types of 'shocks' to use when loosening nuts and bolts:

1. heat it

2. shock it (hit it)

3. chemical (spray it)

4. torgue (turn it)

If all four are required, do it in this order

Guest Anonymous

It wasn't too bad for me to get them off with a 2 foot breaker bar and the emergency brakes on with the car in gear. However, getting the hubs off was very difficult. Get a good puller from Sears (the HF ones will break in this use, I broke 2 of them) and start pulling on the hub. Heat the hub with a torch, and it should come off. Don't hit it with a hammer, you'll bend the end and ruin the threads. Bearings are pretty straightforward, but it's a messy job best done with the trailing arms off the car.

Guest Anonymous

I think it's actually 36mm?? I don't remember. It takes a whallop to get it loose. I used a big impact wrench and socket. There's a VW tool that is available cheap to do this job, but I couldn't make it work because of the studs getting in the way.

Best method is to us the socket, and e-brake to hold things still while you're wrenching on it. Maybe use a long breaker bar + an arnold bar (leverage pipe) and go at it! I got the socket at Napa, don't know if you've got those down there, but that's where I got mine...

Good luck!

-----------

BigDog

'76 2002

Guest Anonymous

BMWwithNavarro1.jpg

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

No puller. I have a big aluminum no mar hammer. A few wacks and the stub axle came right out of the hub. Puller ? I don't need no stinking puller !