Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Which is a better meet; the Palo alto meet or fest west???pl

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

Well i am in Los angeles..i have seen pictures of both the San luis obispo meet and the Palo alto meet but i have never been to any.. i plan to make a trip to one of them... but which one???

Guest Anonymous

200214.jpg

wife and i are trying to plan on coming west coast for a long weekend & would love to go to west fest.

but if palo alto is a better time...

_Dave

Guest Anonymous

DSC01557.jpg

the best. Not sure though. Just giving what i have heard

thanks

Darius

Guest Anonymous

DSC01557.jpg

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

matter of which event is "better", as each event each year is so dependent on who decides to attend.

Palo Alto has a bit of an advantage in that it's in the middle of major urban area (with lots of '02 owners living relatively close) and is within easy day-trip distance for quite a few more areas (Sacramento, Stockton, Modesto, Santa Rosa, etc, etc). The organizers have also chosen to open the event to other vintage BMW's from the same era (E9s, E12s, even a single E21 323 the last couple of years) which pulls in additional attendees.

Since Fest West is usually held in San Luis Obispo, it's a bit further afield for most people (3+ hours from both the Los Angeles and SF Bay areas) which more or less makes it at least a 2 day event for most folks, has been kept primarily a "pure" '02 event, and most years runs for a couple of days with both static and driving events.

My wife and I have been regular attendees at both, and enjoy both equally.

Guest Anonymous

I'd go SLO for certain. It's less central, so there's probably less turn-out in terms of numbers, but it is a WAY WAY WAY nicer place to visit than the Bay Area, and I grew up pretty near Palo Alto.

Just my $.02 if I had to choose, I'd go to Fest west for certain.

---------

BigDog

'76 2002

NorthBend 2002Fest coming up soon!!!

Guest Anonymous

I have been to every 2002FestWest and three of the five Palo Alto Sawp & Shows.

The SLO meet went from 30 or 40 cars in the parking lot of the Madonna Inn to over 200 cars at Santa Rosa Park in 2002. That year, they were still checking in cars as other people were leaving for the day. It was bordering on insanity. Since then, Rob has been redesigning the event by taking a step back to the old days of an informal gathering of friends and their cars. The last meet was much smaller, but MUCH more relaxed.

The Palo Alto show is younger, and has grown steadily each year. This year there were six of us directing traffic to park the cars. I don't know the official count, but the park is starting to fill up more and more. Overall, JP has built up a very nice, fun event.

We go to SLO every year in September, regardless if there is a 2002 show or not. Over time, it has turned into a ritual for us. The Palo Alto show is local and has a great location. It has been fun every year.

As for which get-together is the best? Well, that would have to be whichever one you are able to attend.

The Bay Area 02 drive this last Saturday was a fun event. Even an informal meet with 3 or 4 friends and a BBQ can turn into a special event.

Guest Anonymous

I have gone to both. I have had a great experience with them. For both shows, the organizers and attendees are very friendly. Sometimes you'll see cars in Palo Alto that you'll not see at SLO and viceversa. For me, the Palo Alto show is close by and the SLO provides a great drive. I'll keep on going to both.

Jan

Guest Anonymous

And I live in Paso Robles. I can't wait for West Fest! Going to cancel my Homecoming '05 reservation to make sure I make West Fest.

Bimmer Fest in April, then Palo Alto, next is West Fest. I love it!

~Vroomer

Guest Anonymous

I havnt seen any updates on Rob's site. Anyone know?