Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Might be going 02less for a while....

14 posts / 64 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

alfrontseatsdone2.jpg

URL: http://www.seamsperfect.ca/

I've owned 02's on and off for about 11 years now, and this Sahara for the last 3.5 years. I figured I would never sell it, but I think the time has come.

I'm working on a deal with a friend to buy it from me, and working on a separate deal to sell the interior out of it to another friend. It kind of breaks my heart, but both guys are worthy of owning my stuff, so I'm OK with it. I was going to offer the car to the public, but that would be too painful. Selling to close friend is a better way to go for me. I know that both guys will cherish the car/interior, as much as I do.

Why am I selling my beloved Sahara? Well, couple of reasons. Not the least of which is the little 323i project in the post below. It's going to require some cash to finish, and this is going to go a long way to getting it done. On top of that, I have a 77 630csi that needs to be built, and I'm just plain running out of time and room for this many cars. Besides, I believe that we don't own these cars, but that we're just caretakers for the next guy. My car will go to a worthy caretaker, and I will begin my time with a couple of other very cool, unique old BMW's.

I won't be out of 02's altogether, of course! Still working on LOTS of them on a daily basis, and I'm sure I could always steal a drive in someone else's if I get the urge. We'll still be manufacturing and selling all kinds of 02 goodies as well. I just won't be an actual owner anymore. Well, even that is a bit untrue. I do have a 97% rust free, completely gutted 02 shell ready to build. Although, I may sell it off as well.

Anyway, if all this happens, I hope you guys will still let me hang out here, and come out to 02 gatherings! I'll just have to attend in a 323i.

Al

Guest Anonymous

We actually did it.

Went without an 02.

I attended several 2002FestWest without an 02. We were happy just to take part and kept our rightful place as the non-02 caboose at the end of the country drives. That doesn't mean it's not fun, just read the Wild 02 story regarding the FestWest country drive with the E30M3 tearing up the roads at speed. That be us.

Mainly, it will strengthen your resolve. Your next 02 will be selected by you, rather than just happening. I like to think this group is more about community. You have a soft spot in your heart for boxy little cars. that's all that's needed to join.

You'll be back.

They ALWAYS come back.

Guest Anonymous

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

HugoMe2070405.jpg

even my '74 Inka parts car...from 30 feet away or so, it still looks "cool"...it just has so much rust it saddens me. I have had it in storage for over 4 years....just stupid keeping it I suppose. I haven't figured out what to do with it yet...I just don't think I'm up to another restoration...I "know" my wife would divorce me if I did "another restoration", and I'd probably sererve it! :-)

Maybe some day you will get "hooked" on another '02...never say never! :-) Somewhere up there in Canada there may be an original Colorado Ti or Turbo stored away in a barn somewhere...I know you wouldn't pass that one up! :-)

John

'72tii "Hugo"

Guest Anonymous

your post hits home with me, my friend.

I too, will be 02less after this weekend. I just sold my car to a new friend and fellow enthusiast. Someone I know who will continue to care for and enjoy what I started. The car was never officially for sale nor would I have posted it publicly for the same reasons you mentioned. It was just a spur of the moment thing that happened where I knew of someone who was looking for what I had and just through out the idea of selling it. The transactions occured between myself, the new owner and one of our most knowledgeable and respected board members here.

The interesting part of your post is that I too thought I would never sell it but, life is ever-changing. So, even though I didn't sell it out of need it just doesn't fit in my life right now. One chapter ends only for another to begin.

But, never forget that as much as we love and enjoy these cars the "magic" of owning an 02 (at least in my experience) is the comradery & community of friends. The relationships built during this time greatly exceed the actual ownership of the cars.

My particular restoration involved most of you. All your advice & input together helped me achieve my goal. Guys/Gals like Mike Pugh, Delia, Bill Williams, Rob Torres, Neil, Chris (Stone), Sherman Martinez, Al Canuck (did my interior-thanks!), all of you from NY to CA had a part in my restoration. I couldn't have done it without my "friends".

You will always be welcome on this board, my friend as it is Al whom we come to like and know and not the shell for which you drive.

besides, you'll be back! I know I will as I can't be 02less for too long...

p.s. I hope you all welcome the new guy on the board when he's taken ownership of my car and is ready.

Guest Anonymous

HugoMe2070405.jpg

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

Neal

Guest Anonymous

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

alfrontseatsdone2.jpg

URL: http://www.seamsperfect.ca/

Wow, that makes me feel a bit better! Not exactly sure what it is I feel right now, but I just know that it's time to move on from this particular car. I GUARANTEE I will own another 02, and in fact, I do still have that shell I mentioned, but it will stay as a shell for a while.

Thanks guys,

Al

Guest Anonymous

BTW how are my door panels coming? Been waiting since 5/25/2005. Thanks for any info.

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

...I keep saying the same thing after I sell an 02. After 39 of them in the last 20 years, it just doesn't seem to ring true anymore. :-)

I know people have been "lining up" for the 69 2002 when I get tired of it. I am not tired of it yet, but I have offered it to a few people since I really can't afford to keep right now anyway.

Once you have owned a nice 2002 or brought a car up to your standards, I think you are addicted. However, I think I am getting to the end of the road too... I have offered the 69 to a couple of people that were looking for a nice car, but I have not advertised it. I am reluctant to sell her and in my heart I know I shouldn't, but my head is thinking about practical things right now.

One other thought... a lot of people like the challenge of bringing a car up and then passing it on. I think I am in this camp. I won't give the 69 2002 away and I will want to make sure that its next caretaker appreciates its unique, special history... but, like you, I have already turned the corner and flirted with the idea that maybe it is time.

In the end, I don't think you ever walk away from 2002s... you are merely "on vacation" for awhile.

I would say this is a good step and you should enjoy the new adventure. The car and its interior are going to good homes, so now you can focus on returning another special car back into the world.

Have fun,

Brian

Guest Anonymous

Or maybe that was just because they liked me so much.(naw that wouldnt be the case with me.)

Andy

Guest Anonymous

before that I'd had 02's for 15 years, but I fell in love with the '67 2000 CS coupe body style and I decided to concentrate my resources on finishing up that purchase. I know I'll get another 02 some day. Not a prerequesite to hang out on the board though!