Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Squirrely on the highway

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

On my trip back from Penn, I noticed the 02 being a bit squirmey on the highway. Seems like the car is moving left to right under me, or as if the suspension and wheels are wiggling left and right, while the car is staying fairly straight. Seemed to be the most noticable at 70+ mph on long light turns. Even with the wheel being turned slightly in one direction for the turn, the car seemed to be wiggling around. I dont think it was the wind, because it was a constant movement. Its not very noticable unless your really zoned in and concentratng on driving.

Is that the tie rod end bushings?

Guest Anonymous

worn tires/tierods/balljoints/shocks. Need a little more info.

Guest Anonymous

what size/age/brand tires,

and what size rims,

and what tire pressure ?

did this just start overnight,

or over a long period of time?

Guest Anonymous

Im not going to lie and ignore the fact that one of my rear tires was low by about 2-4 psi. The car was pretty much rebuilt in 1991, about 20k miles ago. Tires are 205 width. Tires were in brand new condition when I got them in the fall. They are from the early 90s. Tire pressure was 35, the max for this tire. They are mounted on 6x13in BBS rims.Comp T/A, so I know they arent some cheesey crap tires.

I hardly do any highway driving, so I dont know when it started. Its really not a problem, but I noticed it when I started to zone in on driving late at night. Sways and all are stock as far as I know. The front shocks are starting to show some age, but nothing that should make it handle poorly. They just make the car bobb a bit on multiple large depressions in the road.

Guest Anonymous

the balance was drifting to one side then the other. So you always had to correct?

~Vroomer

Guest Anonymous

If you can exclude all of the mechanical problems that people

have described, the toe setting has the most profound effect on

the way the car tracks.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

Guest Anonymous

Sort of.

I know I've felt this feeling before on something...Maybe a home made gokart of some sort.

Almost as if the wheels were loose, and sliding back and forth on the studs, or I had solid axles that were moving left to right under me.

It felt like the body was moving separately from the suspension, but the movement was causing the body to move slightly. Kinda like the car was following a rut, and being forced either way. I had no control over the movement. The best word to describe it is squirrely or wiggley.

Guest Anonymous

get rid of the 205 meats and install 185/70x13

do not drive the car till you have jacked it up in the air and inspected for loose tie rods, loose idler arm bearings, loose center link, a tight or dry steering gear box, a rusted out rear subframe or rusted out rear cintrol arms - do not drive this car till the cause is found !

Guest Anonymous

Relax, its not that bad. I could hardly notice it. I couldn't even determine if it was from the wind or the suspension. Ive had a look under the car quite a few times and all looks good, but I'll check it out again today.