Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

engine...odometer and miles of a car. HOw does that work?

5 posts / 105 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

insurance called. my odometer reads 61000 miles. They say the car appears "somewhere" as having 200 thou miles. Is that the miles following the vin of the car? The engine is refurbished. It was installed before I got the car. how does this work?

Guest Anonymous

cars can go 200,000 300,000 400,000 or a lot more miles, the engines can go up to 200,000 or maybe 300,000. No way of knowing where any of these are at for a particular car, unless honest records were kept. You can get an educated guess, by looking at things like wear in the door hinges, pedal boxes, etc. If your engine numbers match the VIN you may be able to figure it out. Also many odometers have been replaced, I had one that would run backwards for a few days then frontwards for a week or two. Good luck.

Guest Anonymous

Is that the miles following the vin of the car?

Yes, the insurance company may extrapolate the current mileage from the previous reported odometer readings when the title has changed hands (if your state records that info.)

Guest Anonymous

I will assume that means it was a refurbished engine. The odometer is the original. I have the records for all parts changed.

What does this mean to insurance? its not a salvage title.

Guest Anonymous

(nt)