Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Vent: m20 swap part 230498

3 posts / 436 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

So I FINALLY got a chance to work on it for a couple hours last night..and it still does not fit right. I'm beginning to lay the blame on the tranny (getrag 245 using a euro 323i 5speed bellhousing)..

anyone know the physical out dimension differences between a 4 and 5 speed (non CR) tranny from a 323?

oh yeah, and also DAMNIT!!! STUPID @#$(@#* ENGINE [email protected]#$(

matt

Guest Anonymous

I don't think the tranny is the problem, since 2002s have been fitted with 245s for years. Lots of M20 swaps have also been done with 245s from 323s. Guessing from afar, I think you problem must be in the mounts you used, and where they located the engine. Maybe you could call Pete McHenry and see if he has any dimensions from M20/245-equipped cars. I don't think there is much, if any, difference between the 4-speed and 5-speed tranny cases, except that the 5-speed has an extra housing added to the rear to carry the 5th gear; I think the intermediate cases and bell housings are virtually identical on the outside. Keep working on it; it'll work out eventually, and you'll end up with a really cool, unique car!

HTH

Colin

Guest Anonymous

The middle for me was the worst i think...The fitting of the engine itself is one big, long cussing fiesta. But im learning a shit load of stuff like mig welding, custom work, i have most of the wiring diagram for both cars memorized, and im learning new words like shhfukit. After engine fitment it's pretty much downhill aslong as you dont make mistakes like i did (forget an o-ring in the breather tube). Wiring is fairly straight forward although it can be confusing, but nothing to cuss about...

You and I will have awesome unique little cars, well worth the time, effort and money spent in the end.

marc

'74/m20 ($4500 US and rising. NEEDS exhaust, intake filter adapter, front strut tower brace, bellhousing cover, and misc little things like a paint job)