Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

I'm building my first motor. I need some pointers.

3 posts / 214 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

I'm using a 76'block ( which is getting hot-tanked and honed as we speak ) and an E21 head ( which I just picked up from the machine shop and had it rebuilt as well ) The crank was delivered to Spartan Crankshaft this afternoon and I will get it back on Monday ( just needs a good cleaning and am having the journals polished ) everything is in spec. My question is on carbueration and which distibutor to use. I have a spare 32/36 Weber and intake manifold. I also have a spare 008 and 002 distributor. Will i have enough carb for this "stock" head ? and THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION OF ALL: WHERE DO I BEGIN MY REBUILD. I have never built a motor, but have read in previous posts that an 02 engine rebuild is not that difficult. What is /are the best books out there for my situation? I can't wait to start building. I'm so excited. Thanks, John P.S. If anyone has engine building do's and dont's they would like to share, That would be fantastic. I don't know why This project is all I can think about. I think it's a sickness.

Guest Anonymous

Get the Haynes manual for the 2002, plus go to any good bookstore and buy one of those "Engine Building and Blueprinting" or "Engine Builders Handbook" books.

Don't let the block guy hone anything unless you give him the new pistons. To do it right, you buy new pistons and have the block fitted to them. If you're reusing your old pistons (not recommended for high-mileage pistons)just hone the block a bit yourself with an electric drill setup.

If your car is running, take your time and read up on engine building first. Don't get carried away, do a bone-stock rebuild with OEM parts first. A stock motor will work great with 32/36, 38/38, 40/40 or even sidedrafts. Later on you can always swap cams, etc.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

20025179111133290527512.jpg

with that E21 head? Most important thing is keep everything clean.