Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

documented pedal box rebuild with * step by step pics*?

10 posts / 722 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

Any document their pedal box rebuild with PICTURES step by step? Like an idiot..i took it apart months ago..and the plan WAS to put it back together asap so i wouldn't forget...long story short its still apart..and it needs to be together. and there are a hell of a lot of little parts.

thx

matt

Guest Anonymous

I don't have it documented, but I've got one whole one and several complete sets. There are a few different varieties, differing in linkage and mounting. Generally pretty straightforward, though. Brake and clutch pedals are on a common bolt, with bushings. Clutch has a return spring, and linkage goes straight out to box-mounted master cylinder (less common mechanical clutch has operating rod extending upwards along firewall). Most commonly, brake pedal pulls on a rod extending vertically upwards along firewall to coupling on brake booster bracket. There's a rubber boot and a return spring on the brake assembly. The early cars had the brake master cylinder mounted on the box, much like the clutch in earlier years.

The accelerator lever mounts through a separate hole on the inside, and has a return spring and external lever. Generally I don't mount up the throttle lever until I bolt the pedal box into the car. It just gets in the way.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

I meant "The early cars had the brake master cylinder mounted on the box, much like the clutch in _LATER_ years.

Guest Anonymous

lisaothersideshade.jpg

disassembling it... I hope these help!!

-Rob

P1010012.JPG

P1010012.JPG

P1010013.JPG

P1010014.JPG

P1010015.JPG

P1010016.JPG

P1010017.JPG

P1010018.JPG

P1010019.JPG

Guest Anonymous

My '74 has a wound clutch return spring on the clutch pedal shaft, rather than that coil spring. I've found that the wound spring seems to break more easily, and it's harder to replace.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

later style boxes used a different (and much better) clutch pedal return spring arrangement. The u-shaped link and the pin on the pedal used on the early pedal boxes wear out and suddenly no clutch pedal return.

Cheers

Mike

Guest Anonymous

shad_carmel.jpg

I'm starting to get some moans and groans coming from my pedal box...time to address the issue soon. Just wondering how much time I should alow for the project since it is a daily driver and I'll need it up and running asap. What parts should I have on hand to expedite the procedure? TIA

Guest Anonymous

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

You can do the pedal box in a weekend easy, but it's one of those things--when you take the pedal box out, you're going to want to clean and paint, etc. Get new bushings, springs and the brake rod boot--that's all there is to replace.

Hard part is unbolting the pedal box from the body.

Mike