Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Timing chain help...

5 posts / 210 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

Replaced timing chain, plastic rail, and rubberized tensioner yesterday on 74tii (Thanks to previous help). Also discovered injection pump was not timed up properly so much smoother running now.

Problem is now the front end of engine sounds much noisier than before and I'm guessing this is due to chain since this is all I've messed with.

Any suggestions on what I've done wrong / what problem is? Any known problems with tensioner plunger setup / function.

Hope you can help, thanks,

Ivan.

Guest Anonymous

1. New chain, worn sprokets=noise

2. hydraulic tensioner not pumping up properly--plugged oil inlet hole, weak spring etc.

Happy hunting

Mike

Guest Anonymous

Thanks.

Sprokets didn't look too worn so I didn't replace them. Also noise worse when idling, better when revving makes me think of floppy chain.

Where is the oil inlet hole ?

Guest Anonymous

chris_schreiber.jpg

Being you had the front cover off you should prime the tensioner by pouring some oil in the cupped area where the tensioner and the rail meet each other (look down inside the front cover).

After you do that push the rail into it a few times and you will get the air out of it. It will make a difference at idle. and should get rid of the problem. If not I'd say worn gears too. The crank gear is a bit of a pain but I would still do the Cam gear, it's easy if you still have a problem. When you rev the motor it goes away because you are removing the slack.

Guest Anonymous

(nt)