Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

checking driveshaft alignment?

6 posts / 182 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

Whats the best way to check driveshaft/crankshaft alignment? I have my m20 engine in..fairly well lined up (i think), but only eyeballed. I want to be damn sure that everything is straight before I weld the tranny mounts on and shorten the driveshaf. The diff AND driveshaft are currently out of the car. Diff should be back in by the weekend. I'm not sure the best way to doublecheck to ensure the engine is in the correct spot though. I obviously can't put the driveshaft in right now because its too long. ideas? i'm an idiot :)

thx

matt

Guest Anonymous

lisaothersideshade.jpg

tie the string to where the Diff SHOULD be (centerline of input yoke) and then run it to the centerline of the output of the tranny. Then take a level and make sure the thing goes straight back. Not exactly sure how I'd do this, but if I was under there I'm sure somethign would strike me (prolly the ball of string, on the head). Work with the string... we are made of strings!! (just ask stephen hawking!)

-Rob

Guest Anonymous

fdaeb69b.jpg

....you have to do the mounts before having the driveshaft. Can't you wait till you get the driveshaft before doing the final mount welding?

Guest Anonymous

tranny mounts. probably drill really small holes in them, and bolt them up. once i have them perfect (and maybe even drive it a bit) i'll come back and weld them up 'sumthin' proper' :)

matt

Guest Anonymous

both parts of the diff have to be aligned with each other, correct? meaning no dip at the center bearing? so if i put the dip in..figure out where the center of the center bearing is..i can put a straight line through that..and it should 'come out' at where the tranny *should* be then..right? can anyone clarify that please?

thx

matt

Guest Anonymous

lisaothersideshade.jpg

the car on it, so id put it on ramps back there. But yah, that sounds like a good way to do it! At least for the vertical measurements, which i think is what you are after. You could also measure from inner backing plate to inner backing plate to figger the centerline of the driveline, so long as the subframe/trailing arms aren't bent, and the bushings arent screwy, etc. GOOD LUCK MATT!!

-Rob