Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

need opinion: petronix or crane w/ msd 6?

10 posts / 150 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

I have a msd 6a and red coil i am going to put on the new engine. question.. i have heard petronix has problems at high rpms, and that the crane optical sensor unit is better. searched web, and forum engines and did not find direct discussion. has anyone used msd with crane? i know tep sells petronix with their high performance ignition upgrade kit. i am inclined to go with petronix. any help appreciated. thanks///

Guest Anonymous

I currently have the Pertronix in my '73 Tii and it works great and has proven to have more longevity than then Crane unit I had used before. Basically the difference comes down to a Magnetic trigger in the Pertonix whereas the Crane uses an optical unit.

Guest Anonymous

I run the msd 6a with red coil and pertronix in my '73 Tii. No problems at any RPM. Nice setup -- Pretty much love it.

Brad

Guest Anonymous

no trouble with it yet. I have heard that the crane optical triggers are less reliable, but I don't have any evidence to back that up.

Guest Anonymous

Can you use the petronix kit with a crane XR700? I had to ditch the optical sensor because it was a POS and never fit quite right. I now have a petronics kit and have totally disconnected my XR700. I would love to use the petronix instead of the optical sensor and hook up the crane ignition box if possible.

TIA,

Chuck

73 2002

Guest Anonymous

I have been running the Crane XR-700 since 1992 in my 74 2002 and have absolutely no problems with it. I am running the Pertronix unit in my 72 Volvo 1800ES, and once again absolutely no issues. Difference is the Pertronix is a Hall effect trigger, completely self contained within the distributor. Does nothing more that replace the points. No real performance gain above the ease of maintenance offered. The Crane unit does offer some performance increase.

Earl Myers

74 2002

72 Volvo 1800ES

Guest Anonymous

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

think i will go with petronix and the msd 6a. sounds like it is reliable,and should improve "pep" over standard tii dist i have now. appreciate the feedback///

Guest Anonymous

(nt)