Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Condition of my car :(

17 posts / 226 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

2002sm.jpg

URL: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/admin/contribute.html

At the latest autocross on Sunday at Candlestick park my car ran into some problems. Three bolts that hold the right strut on the bottom to the control arm broke as the car's suspension unloaded from the left side to load the right at the end of the long sweeper going into the final sharp left at the end of my last run. As the result of this I finished 3rd :( and damaged the right side of my car as seen in these pictures. The full extent of damage is still not known as I have not removed anything from the car yet. It seems that nothing actually hit the ground, but I might've bent the camber plate. The fender is gone and will need to be replaced.

I might take a step towards Street Mod class and replace the fenders and the hood with fiberglass at this point and leave 'em unpainted until the winter.

But everything is still up in the air and unknown. All I know is that I want the car running by the Fest West. I will continue to work on a few pending things with the FAQ board and the site, but as those complete I will not take any more major tasks till the repair is completed. The two major tasks that I am working on are Calendar and t-shirts. I'll leave the Image and Link tags as they are for now.

steve k.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Guest Anonymous

looks nasty. Out of interest what size rims / tyres (offest and spacers) are those and do they fit under normal front / rear wings?

Guest Anonymous

2002sm.jpg

URL: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/admin/contribute.html

I keep forgeting to look at what the offset is on them. The wheels should fit under normal fenders, the tires might with stock suspension. My car is dramaticly lowered so i had to roll the fenders a bit.

steve

Guest Anonymous

A long time ago that happened to my car while I was driving it on the street. Fortunately I was just pulling into a gas station, and the only damage was a crumpled fender. I think I'll replace those bolts with super-strength type before I put my car back on the road again.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

lisaothersideshade.jpg

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

front_side_T.jpg

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

from Pegasus racing etc.

Guest Anonymous

And, if they're tightened up too tight they will stretch, and break.

I ran all of mine past a thread pitch gauge and ALL had stretched!

I replaced two on ea side (I think they were 9$ ea.!) and used real

safety wire (st. stl.). I don't autox. So, I feel safe. I don't recall the

torque. Something like 15ft/lbs. I remember it was odd though...

Good luck,

John McA

Guest Anonymous

Baron BMW here in KC had 2 bolt for $3 a piece and would have to order more for me. I broke two of them on my 75. Couldn't get part of it out so I bought used strut housings from Rob Torres. But I got rid of the 75 before I could put them on, someday I'll use them.

You really need that safety wire!

Guest Anonymous

(nt)

Guest Anonymous

kris_fla.jpg

I give to you for the ride. OR. You can pay me to make you some copies of my flares I got from Al Taylor. That would get expensive though. $350 for the set front and rear or half that for the front. They're like superwide alpina flares. Lemme know if you want them.. Call it a "donation". Thanks

Kris

Guest Anonymous

Jason and I might have some "spare" fenders lying around between the two of us. I can check and let you know if interested in just getting it back on the road. But I'm sorry to hear about all that maddness. At least you did it AutoXing and not something stupid like oh say...drag racing a ricer.

Joe

Bay Bimmerz

Guest Anonymous

kris_fla.jpg

Well the fronts are a full replacement pannel. It's a race car pannel so don't picture it to be some perfect fit looks better than stock pannel. Fiberglass is rough but at 15lbs for all 4 corners it's light ;)

The rears you must cut your rear pannel off below the trimline. Apply Bodywork to get it to look nice or get quarter turn fastners for that rough race car look. i'm using a plasma cutter to ditch my rear quarters. Lemme know if your interested cause I've gotta make molds and stuff. A hood is a PITA cause you've got to build reinforment and stuff into it. I could do one for $175. This isn't going to be primered fiberglass. It will need sanding and some love to get it to look great! All fiberglass parts need that though.

Kris