• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Differential Change Coming Need Advice...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

'02 Amigos,

So I'm under the car the other night installing my ireland rear sway bar, and what do I find? A 3.64 open diff... I thought since it is a '76 I would find a 3.9, bummerama.

Here's the dilema, between that and the oversized tires (195*60*14) I'd really like to have more low end zip. Especially since I"m almost always driving around town...

What I have in my posession is a 3.9 open diff, but I'd really like to go LSD. So, cheaper to convert the open diff to an LSD, or buy a decent LSD. Anybody got one for sale?

Also, who can find that post on the 4.10 gear conversion for a diff? TIA

----------

BigDog

'76 2002

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

Unless you can install the limited slip unit into your open differential it will be far cheaper to find a used E21/320i unit from an 80-83 model. Prices run anywhere from 150-250 depending upon mileage and desperation of the seller. If you want to go bucks up then by all means find a 4.10 ring and pinion or even 4.27 or 4.44 and install them into the limited slip differential when you rebuild it. These rarer ring and pinion sets will run anywhere from 200-250 as they are generally snatched up by autocrossers and racers. Clutches, output flange bearings, and pinion bearing will run 200-250 alone. That being said I do have a couple of good clean lower mileage 3.90 limited slip differentials.

shermanmartinez@hotmail.com

Guest Anonymous

I can't decide if it's worth the $$$ given the coming kart racing season, loss of my job in 6months, etc...

All these things to consider... I'd sure like to go with LSD, but I'm having a tough time biting the bullet to spend the $$$...

---------

BigDog

'76 2002

Guest Anonymous

It's by far the simplest & cheapest route to get the 3.91 LS (not 3.90) from an E21.

The open diffs are smaller cases, the LS carrier won't fit.

Changing a carrier is not that tough (like when it's removed to get new clutches or other work.) You are taking the ring gear out with the carrier, but don't have to reset the pinion depth with it's complicated crush spacer/shim/bearing load setup. Setting the ring gear back in place is far less trouble, you will need to check the backlash and swap shims if needed.

Changing the gear ratio is much more difficult, as you have to deal with the pinion swap.

Best advice, find the gear ratio you want in a LS diff, and don't plan on anything more than maitainence on the clutches. Other work is much more costly.

Guest Anonymous

That posting paid prices amongst us is such a grand idea... Infact, I personally won't post about who I paid how much for anything, outside retail prices listed someplace.

That being said I regularly don't pay what's listed as "retail" from several suppliers, but I'd go no further than to post about how good the total experience with those suppliers is.

Just my little rant about netiquitte for the day.

----------

BigDog

'76 2002

Guest Anonymous

I am not desparate at all. Mainly because I am honest and don't pull anything with more than 125,000 miles on it. It always makes me wonder like the time I saw a guy in a yard laying under an E21/320i talking on a cell phone mentioning to the person on the other end that he had found a good limited slip! When I peeked in at the odometer the car had 295,000 miles on it! Good luck on the clutch pak!

shermanmartinez@hotmail.com

Guest Anonymous

Just kidding. You have the reputation for providing nothing but the best! It's all about me and deciding how bad I really want to put in an LSD.

Infact changing diffs at all looks like a PITA, but I really do want the 3.9 or better...

-----------

BigDog

'76 2002

Guest Anonymous

You are down in S.D...if I recall right. It will cost you b/n $55-$75 if you find one after you pull it out yourself (that is a pain in the neck!). The LSD route is the best way to go. You have waited a while so you don't need to rush. Check around for prices.

Guest Anonymous

if everyone is paying $250-$350 for limited slips and someone posts one for $500, potential buyers would know that its probably overpriced and would be less likely to get ripped off.