• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Only If We All Had Friends Like This…

Posted (edited)

Finally getting around to clearing out the duplicate and crappy photos I took on vacation in May. (Gone are the days where photography is limited by rolls of 24 or 36 shots - so one ends up with 1,000+ over a couple of weeks). 

I had forgotten I’d taken these two shots. Must be nice to have friends in high places. 

IMG_9251.thumb.jpeg.04e04c3b97c3e77b553bed5a7bd71611.jpeg

always liked these, though I don’t like that they cause kugelfischer injector prices to be absurd… but if someone gifted me one… (read below)

IMG_9250.thumb.jpeg.2d9e960d5467cf0543eeb5a581c38f78.jpeg

Edited by 73tiiDavidPA
typo
  • Like 5

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

73 tii (Verona, survivor, owned since '92)

66 DS21 (most technologically advanced car of the 20th Century)

15 hours ago, Dudeland said:

I can't believe people race these things. I was watching one at a hillclimb event. 

I enjoy people who own cars and drive them as intended.  Though a M1 street version was never really intended for racing.  Perhaps a hill climb and some spirited driving, but my understanding is the "racing" M1's were quite a bit different and setup very differently.  

Are you surprised because of the dollar value, or the potential for breaking things and needing repairs?

Where I was a docent, Fred had many cars worth over $25+ million and probably a dozen others worth over $5+ million.  All of them got driven, loaned, shipped about, and wrung out occasionally on tracks or at events.  He wanted to preserve the vehicles, but keep them all running and get them in front of people's eyeballs so they could enjoy them / experience them / learn from them.  

• Like 3

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

73 tii (Verona, survivor, owned since '92)

66 DS21 (most technologically advanced car of the 20th Century)

9 hours ago, 73tiiDavidPA said:

I enjoy people who own cars and drive them as intended.  Though a M1 street version was never really intended for racing.  Perhaps a hill climb and some spirited driving, but my understanding is the "racing" M1's were quite a bit different and setup very differently.  

Are you surprised because of the dollar value, or the potential for breaking things and needing repairs?

Where I was a docent, Fred had many cars worth over $25+ million and probably a dozen others worth over $5+ million.  All of them got driven, loaned, shipped about, and wrung out occasionally on tracks or at events.  He wanted to preserve the vehicles, but keep them all running and get them in front of people's eyeballs so they could enjoy them / experience them / learn from them.  

I am surprised that they could find enough parts to keep something like that going. I agree completely that cars should be driven as intended. I love the FOS, although it is mostly an old, rich, white male event when it comes to beating the heck out of vintage Ferraris,  there has been some movement in that camp as of late.  

Getting there for the FOS events is on the bucket list. I often talk to my family about the generosity of folks like Fred, who share their private collections so that we can enjoy the beauty and engineering of vintage cars—something that so many of their modern counterparts lack.  The unfortunate side effect of safety standards is that new cars have little room to be anything besides an appliance on wheels. 

Regards

Also, the guy I was tracking down to fix Getrag 245s races two M1s and maintains many others through his shop. 

Edited by Dudeland
  • Like 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002