• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weld floor pan plugs shut?

Go to solution Solved by Son of Marty,

Is there any reason not to weld the big body plugs and the holes under the seat shut?

(After I finish cleaning up the 💩 goo)

The PO replaced the passenger side floor pan and the repair panel has a fake body plug.

AD596B27-FB87-4044-B7EF-27FD0D61D114_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.6ebda9fcdc8ee39f725b3cc0930988b6.jpeg

4DE9939D-4073-462A-93A9-AFF2A81572E3_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.bed663ceefe2cda8ae130ed1dc693766.jpeg

I'm sure this has been discussed, but I was unsuccessful in my search for answers. Apologies if I missed it.

1976 2002 - Segundo

1936 Ford pickup hotrod, 2010 Honda Ridgeline

Segundo blog

Paoli (PA) Car Show - Oct 5, 2024

• Solution

Unless you are going put your car back on the factory jig to weld the chassis together then they serve no purpose, so weld away. Most people think they are drain holes from the priming stage of painting but that's not there primary reason to exist, back in the days before computer positing and welders the big holes had a pin that located the hole and a locking pin was installed to hold the floor flat and the smaller 1/2 dollar hole locked it straight.   

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

They may not serve a purpose, but why weld them up?  I took mine out to deal with the rust under/on them and then painted the floor pan and plugs separately.  It's easy to tap them back into shape if they're bent.  Then I smeared some body caulk in the seam before spinning them back in.  I didn't use much sound dampening on the floor of my car, but did put circular pieces over the plugs.

001.thumb.JPG.42323b095eaf08ac7eff4bd7e152f0e7.JPG

005.thumb.JPG.295ab32cdc853b22ba10e35577582092.JPG

012.thumb.JPG.12cd2bafbc05b08c180871925497c5ef.JPG020.thumb.JPG.f06bcd23ce0dc6b5c6965da504d41bd8.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

They may not serve a purpose, but why weld them up? 

Thanks. You did very nice work. Like @Ian said, I feel like it's just inviting possible future trouble. My car is / will be a long way from stock, so I don't see any need to go to that trouble - especially on the non-visible areas.

That's one of the things I really appreciate about this community and 2002 owners - lots of advice and perspectives and little judgement :)

Edited by JQ02

1976 2002 - Segundo

Segundo blog

By weld them shut, do you mean weld the plugs in place, or make patches for the holes and weld those in?  The way the plugs fit in, they have overlapping metal which will trap water, unless it is welded from the bottom. 

If you're using the factory plugs, how will you weld them in so as to keep water out of that joint?  

I'm not trying to cause trouble.  I'm just wondering how you'll go about it.

9 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

By weld them shut, do you mean weld the plugs in place, or make patches for the holes and weld those in?  The way the plugs fit in, they have overlapping metal which will trap water, unless it is welded from the bottom. 

If you're using the factory plugs, how will you weld them in so as to keep water out of that joint?  

I'm not trying to cause trouble.  I'm just wondering how you'll go about it.

Thank you @mintgrun  This is the opposite of causing trouble. That is a good point. I hadn't gotten that far. I guess I would weld in new sheet metal cut to size or do multiple passes.

My overall plan is to use sendcutsend.com for my many sheet metal circle needs :) I have a plan to create a .8mm 'sheet' of circles and other shapes that I need.

1976 2002 - Segundo

Segundo blog

4 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

how will you weld them in so as to keep water out of that joint?  

Seam sealer from the bottom after welding.

• Thanks 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

11 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

Seam sealer from the bottom after welding.

If seam sealer keeps the water out, why bother welding?

Seam sealer inside the joint seems better than outside the joint.

(But you can't put it in the joint if you're going to be melting metal).

I'm not trying to convince anyone to do it my way, just adding a few thoughts and questions to the discussion.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

I designed a sheet of circles for welding all the holes I want to fill; knee trim, side markers, diving board bumpers (circles and rectangles) and even the floor pan plugs:)

So, my hope is to use these to cleanly weld the plug holes.

3D17B3D9-28D4-4184-809B-1FC10AA9C267_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.d130717aea53259d839c9fed33678e19.jpeg

AF492B25-8C59-440C-8D42-69CA2C173397_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 3

1976 2002 - Segundo

Segundo blog

4 hours ago, popovm said:

Super cool. Gotta love practical applications of rapid prototyping.

Yeah. I was scratching my head about how to cut various circles out of sheet metal. It took me an extra minute to think of making a sheet of them that are only slightly attached.

sendcutsend is awesome - fast and reasonably priced. I originally had one large sheet but it was $64, but I noticed that multiple copies were way less expensive. So, I pared it down to 4 smaller sheets and the total was $45 for more material. I'm thinking they prolly cut all 4 in one pass with a waterjet. Crazy.

• Like 1

1976 2002 - Segundo

Segundo blog