• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody have a spare dipstick tube mount lying around?

I'm after the one that doesn't include the mount for the air pump like what's pictured, but instead just the small square piece that the tube mounts into. I suppose I could just cut the piece off the one I have and machine the edge, but I'd hate to ruin an original part I might need someday. 

At any rate, if you have the small square mount that I'm after and are willing to part with it, please let me know. Thanks. 

image1.jpeg

image0.jpeg

Edited by Tdh

FWIW: I made one once with a sheet metal plate and a steel tube and just welded it together. Now I suppose one could also just use a threaded brass pipe fitting and fasten it with RTV and a securing nut to a covering plate.  

see tag line below.  

Edited by conkitchen

But what do I know

6 hours ago, 2002iii said:

I would just chop the smog pump  bracket off. Not many people still running a smog pump.

The chances of your using the smog pump again are slim to none..not even California requires one for 1975 and older cars.  Anyway--from experience--if you examine that bracket closely you'll probably see that one or both of the pump mounting holes are all worn due to the rubber mounts failing--and your not noticing 'em. 

That's what happened to my '69; I removed the air pump around 1972 because it made the engine stall when cold.  Then I got tired of that bracket in my way when I changed oil filters, so I got out my trusty hacksaw and sawed it off.  A bit of filing on the cut edge, and presto--a Euro dipstick holder.

mike

• Like 3

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Make sure you cut off the holder and not the dipstick 😉...

Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

6 hours ago, Mike Self said:

Make sure you cut off the holder and not the dipstick 😉...

Please tell me you haven’t done this at some point😀.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tdh said:

Please tell me you haven’t done this at some point😀.

I know some dipsticks (certainly not 02 owners!) but have never cut one off, either human or steel...

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, John76 said:

Ha ...

NeedNewDipStick.jpg.92c2fce68d1c89410893cd74ad9f8b21.jpg

Funny part is, I have literally taken apart my project storage area, gone through every box of spares (even the ones for cars other than 2002’s) and I can’t find my f’ing dipstick anywhere…

Go figure.