• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wire insulation chafing. More Protection Required?.

Go to solution Solved by Mike Self,

I am in the process of running some weld on tabs to hold my wiring in place.  I am running the battery cables, and I am worried that these tabs may wear through the wire insulation. Here is a pick of the wire.  And the tab.  Do I need something between it? The thickness is 3.4 mm.

I was thinking of putting some mesh protector around it. 

Thanks in advance 

IMG_5351.thumb.jpeg.71bfcd9849946241af8e52a5b5a54184.jpeg  

IMG_5350.thumb.jpeg.be3f54066f13a77de6980b3e42673d15.jpeg

IMG_5354.thumb.jpeg.1bde0d4bd81c90d933ac05d65e954d69.jpegIMG_5355.thumb.jpeg.7611a97e69a7d1d59997daf0a6dbe7da.jpeg

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

I’d put some piece of hose in between. I’m not a fan of mesh sleeve. While it looks nice at first it cumulates a lot of dirt and is pig to clean. Offers minimal protection.

• Like 1

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

The wire bundle tab surface should generally wrap around the wire. You want surface to surface, not surface to edge contact.

You’re not looking to run your wires thru those rectangular holes where it’s ’all edges’ in contact with the wire are you?

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

I am trying to picture how these work. Those tabs look nice (off the shelf from somewhere?) but I can't tell exactly how they will be used. Does the wire run parallel to the orientation of the tabs and you use zip ties between the two as a hold down? 

image.thumb.png.31028d3360487feabb519e57b9034e4c.png

1 hour ago, visionaut said:

The wire bundle tab surface should generally wrap around the wire. You want surface to surface, not surface to edge contact.

You’re not looking to run your wires thru those rectangular holes where it’s ’all edges’ in contact with the wire are you?

12 minutes ago, popovm said:

I am trying to picture how these work. Those tabs look nice (off the shelf from somewhere?) but I can't tell exactly how they will be used. Does the wire run parallel to the orientation of the tabs and you use zip ties between the two as a hold down? 

image.thumb.png.31028d3360487feabb519e57b9034e4c.png

Yes they will be running parallel. The zip tie will go through the big square hole, around the wire then through the opening between the welds back around. 

Here is a pic. 

IMG_5356.thumb.JPG.0e756e9e248ea81c83b3ea8708bf6bd5.JPG

I really like these things.  I use a "helping hands" electronics stand to hold the tabs exactly where I want them. 

CA.TMRCUSTOMS.COM

Terrible wiring and routing has plagued home builders for years...and even some shops. Tidy up that rats nest ASAP with TMR's Zip Tie Tabs! They provide a clean solution for securely mounting wires, hoses, brake lines, etc. If it's round and needs a permanent home on your...

• Thanks 2

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

• Solution

Easiest solution:  go down to your local hardware store or Lowes Depot and buy a foot or two of clear (flexible) vinyl tubing  whose ID is the same diameter as the cable's OD.  Cut off an inch or two slice, slit it with a box cutter, wrap it around the cable and then secure cable and sleeve with a zip tie.  Project complete...

mike

• Like 5

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Those tabs are pretty cool. I wish they were cheaper but I can understand that's probably what it costs that small company to make those and turn a profit. I will probably stick with @D.martijn's OEM style clips if I end up ordering something. 

WWW.WALLOTHNESCH.COM

Set of metal wiring clips to weld on (10 pieces) for all models and years of production

• Like 1

1 hour ago, popovm said:

Those tabs are pretty cool. I wish they were cheaper but I can understand that's probably what it costs that small company to make those and turn a profit. I will probably stick with @D.martijn's OEM style clips if I end up ordering something. 

WWW.WALLOTHNESCH.COM

Set of metal wiring clips to weld on (10 pieces) for all models and years of production

Thanks for the shout out haha :)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dudeland said:

I am in the process of running some weld on tabs to hold my wiring in place.  I am running the battery cables

Where exactly? Externally, like along one of the inner rockers?

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, tech71 said:

Where exactly? Externally, like along one of the inner rockers?

Inside the car, along the bottom of the transmission tunnel from the back seat to the front. 

Edited by Dudeland

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

I've run my positive cable from rear battery mount along the factory route and then nicely through a grommet through the firewall near starter for over 45 years with NO problems . The tubing cover where it passes through something.

• Like 2

Your first step IMO is to include a fuse at the battery, your wire looks like welding wire which has a robust jacket on it but safety first, as Mike said a bit of hose say a inch or so on either side of the pinch points will prevent the jacket from contacting any thing sharp and you'll sleep better at night.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

8 hours ago, popovm said:

WWW.WALLOTHNESCH.COM

These are very cool. I kept those in the car. I would have perhaps pursued these but they won't fit the 0 gauge wire.  The other ones will accommodate all wire sizes. 

• Like 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Dont use the woven sheathing stuff there, use the the vinyl tubing like Editor Mike says. That or chunks of old garden hose.

So thats a lot of white and blue cables hangin out there in the pic, you've piqued my curiosity Dude...land😉

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris