• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hood issue that perplexes me, se pics.

I am trying to install my hood latches and release handle to get things locked down for the road portion of this adventure and the pics below is what I have.  Engagement of the rollers on the hood is not even close.  The ramps on the hood are fully forward, the rod ends are at the limits forward, and the hood to door clearances are goodish.  Why am I not even close.  How could this body be so jacked?

IMG_0873 2.jpg

IMG_0875 2.jpg

Have you adjusted the cockpit lever? Is the cable too tight? Rollers should be more down & forward when hood is ”unlocked” from the lever. I think.

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

My locking bar ends sit pointed straight forward when unlocked. When you rotate the lever to lock, the arms swing down.

They don’t swing up onto the ramps, when the hood is fully closed … though it might seem like they work that way they don’t. ;)

added: my ramps sit near full up (bottom of slots).

Edited by visionaut
ramps

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

On 3/10/2024 at 7:27 PM, Polymerjohn said:

I am trying to install my hood latches and release handle to get things locked down for the road portion of this adventure and the pics below is what I have.  

Did you have the hood removed at some point time and installed back now? I ask because hood seems to be in bind. Do you have pictures of hinges to the hood and to front brackets attached?

Are you sure "ramps" are in right positions? 

IMG_6799.thumb.jpg.05b9c3add0e67c88ddee9aac9533003b.jpg

Edited by Buckeye
added picture

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

Thanks for the help on this.  Attached are some pic to help assess.  Even if I move the hood forward and both doors.  I still see how I am so far off the ramp engagement.  I have been thinking that I am so far that I need to fabricate extended ramps that will engage the hood rods.  All the slop available for adjustment has been used up and I am still far from engagement.  Moving the doors and hood forward is only about 1/8" at best.  Still not enough, in my mind.  I will get after it this weekend and any help or suggestions are welcome.

John in OK

IMG_0880 2.JPG

IMG_0882 2.JPG

One thing I see is that the bolts holding the hood support legs are in backwards preventing the leg from rotating. These bolts need the head and shoulder on the outside along with the arms.

hdup1.JPG.a5602172ad03da6bb01dc0920aa73f20.JPG

open-uri20190722-7799-1031ody.?1563832029

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Both of the legs fold forward.  My car does not have the over-tang on the top bar that catches the bottom bar as seen in the photo posted by Marty.  This weekend I will make the changes to match the picture in Marty's post the best I can.  I still don't have a solid solution to get my hood latch rod to engage the ramps on the hood.  This weekend my plan is to move the hood to rod roller engagement position and go from there back to the door and fenders as needed.  I do realize this could get "ugly" and frustrating.

Polymerjohn in OK

Hood closed i think it could be 3 mm or so more forward.

Hood supports... something is off there. Looks like top part of the legs are missing the tip with short 90 deg bends (that stops joints over extending).

Does the hood behave if you remove that hood support/spring thingie?

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

The hood only needs to be forward enough so the roller arms (in their forward pointing unlocked position) pass by just in front of the angle plates. In the ‘slot’ between the angle plates and the horizontal cross-hood seal.

The angle plates need to be near their upmost position on the hood (exposed slots at top) so that the roller arms can reach them to press down on them.

When you rotate the lever to lock, the roller arms need to rotate downward from their unlocked pointed-forward state. The rollers then press down onto the tops of the front wings of the angle plates to retain the hood.

If you’re unconvinced the roller arms rotate downward onto the angle plates (mistakenly thinking they roll UP the angles), take some measurements.

The height of the roller arm extending forward over the flat fender top is approx. 3.2” above. When the hood is closed, the lower forward edge of the angle ramp sits about .75” over the same flat fender top. The arm has to go DOWN to engage the ramp sitting under it…

Tom

Edited by visionaut
typos
  • Like 2

Visionaut explained the function really well above. I think problem is about understanding how it should work because I don't see anything that much wrong in the pictures of OP.  Just to add that to lock the hood down the lever in cockpit is pushed down and forward. In pictured situation it should be pointing back. So - nothing like other cars.

The stop buffer missing on left side and the spring levers to hold it up should be fixed for perfect operation but locking is separate issue from them.

• Like 1

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

3 hours ago, Polymerjohn said:

Both of the legs fold forward.  My car does not have the over-tang on the top bar that catches the bottom bar as seen in the photo posted by Marty.  This weekend I will make the changes to match the picture in Marty's post the best I can.  I still don't have a solid solution to get my hood latch rod to engage the ramps on the hood.  This weekend my plan is to move the hood to rod roller engagement position and go from there back to the door and fenders as needed.  I do realize this could get "ugly" and frustrating.

Polymerjohn in OK

the legs need to fold backwards. Fix that before bothering to adjust anything else. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, visionaut said:

The angle plates need to be near their upmost position on the hood (exposed slots at top) so that the roller arms can reach them to press down on them.

If when the hood clamp lever in the cabin is rotated down and the rollers are also rotate down, the angle plates need to be low enough for the roller to pass the front of the angle plate and roll on top of the angle plate.  The rubber bump stop should be raised as needed to let the angle plate to be lowered.

Edited by jimk
  • Like 2

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

As a starting point, try setting the bottom edge of the angle plates even with the horizontal fold in the under hood structure that the angle plate bolts to.

Then set the stopper heights at the trailing edge of the angle plates to approx 1/4-1/3” below the face of that fold.

That should put the closed lower edge of the hood close to horizontal, ideally matched up in parallel to the horizontal crease along the outer top of the fender (sitting about 1/4-1/3” above said crease so the hood waist trim lines up at the door).

Then tweak the stopper heights to adjust the height of the rear edge of the hood.

And if necessary tweak the angle plate heights in their slots to adjust the closure tension of the rollers on the plates when locking.

Tom

• Like 1