• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear subframe metal/rubber mount #9 UPDATE SOLVED!

28 minutes ago, tzei said:

Is there a spanner forgotten under seat?

I worked on a e30 that had a clunk on acceleration that sounded just like a CV joint gone bad, it had been driving her crazy for quite a while, anyway new half shafts installed and on the test drive clunk was still there, after checking my work and all the usual suspects like exhaust routing or loose bushings found nothing at all, so I got my wife to drive the car while I sat in the back seat to trouble shoot, anyway as she took off the first time a 1/2 full quart of vodka rolls out from under the passenger front seat and hit the rears seat bulkhead then roll back under the seat. Keep the vodka and told her I fixed her car and only charged for the parts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

13 minutes ago, bergie33 said:

How's your driveshaft center support bearing?  Mine "clunked" on acceleration when it was starting to go.

Had the shaft rebuilt plus I went and looked at it to confirm all's good.  

I used to travel to China for work. In the street vendor shops one could buy these "magic" crickets that would just quietly chirp. Kinda like a Zen Buddha touristy yin yang thang. Anyway, I know a guy you brought one back and placed it in the house as a joke to the wife. He would leave for the day and then it would go off all day long driving her nuts.  Like those tail pipe whistles sound as a prank. Should make a discrete little magnetic "clunk" sound FX box (shaped like a spanner) and sell to joker motorheads, or unscrupulous mechanics.  

Edited by conkitchen

But what do I know

3 hours ago, conkitchen said:

Yes'er 

I might have to check the jack and lug wrench although I was certain they are locked down.  

It's like trying to figure out which smoke detector has a low battery.  

beep

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, popovm said:

It's like trying to figure out which smoke detector has a low battery. 

They only go low battery beep between 2 and 5 AM.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

• conkitchen changed the title to Rear subframe metal/rubber mount #9 UPDATE SOLVED!

For those of you paying attention. 

It was the front sway bar bushing. The previous owner installed urethane units that just dried out and crumbled to pieces. One side was completely missing and other was not too far behind exiting the chassis.  

Installed good ole rubber ones and aaaaah the silence.  

Moral of the story, don't just check where you think the noise is coming from but rather everywhere.  Never bothered to look up front as the noise seemed to come from the rear. Nuts! 

• Like 4

But what do I know

I’m relieved. Both for you, and for me — I may no longer hold the record for longest post on what turned out to be a simple fix.😛

• Haha 2

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000