• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

‘02 owners who have Flofit seats - how are they mounted?

djpdiag
Go to solution Solved by visionaut,

Hi everyone. A rough around the edges ‘75 ‘02 I have been chipping away at has a set of poorly (and frankly unsafe) mounted Flofit seats. Someone mounted them crudely, directly to the floor mounting points without the original ‘02 seat bracket/frame assembly prior to my buying the car. It looks to me as if they drilled through the Flofit brackets.

These are Recaro-like seats, marketed to 80’s and 90’s Mustang owners from what I have read, perhaps others. They fit nicely in the space available, have a matching rear bench and are in great shape so I’d like to keep them and mount them securely. 

Google image search showed some pics of ‘02s that had them and I was just wondering if those who have them wouldn’t mind sharing how they mounted them. It appears some used the factory bracket/frame. 

Thanks in advance!

Edited by djpdiag

Hi !  I bought a tan pair of Flow-fits years ago, and extra fabric to re-cover the rear seats. Love them, but they are long gone.  Mine came with a rectangle of band iron with pre-drilled holes and the correct bolts, about 91?  By some miracle I found the spare fabric and recovered the back-rest of the back seat, it was a bit cooked on top.  I'll see if I can take a pic of front seat brackets without removing them.  Good luck!

message.eml

Edited by MauiBob

On 12/28/2023 at 12:16 AM, MauiBob said:

Hi !  I bought a tan pair of Flow-fits years ago, and extra fabric to re-cover the rear seats. Love them, but they are long gone.  Mine came with a rectangle of band iron with pre-drilled holes and the correct bolts, about 91?  By some miracle I found the spare fabric and recovered the back-rest of the back seat, it was a bit cooked on top.  I'll see if I can take a pic of front seat brackets without removing them.  Good luck!

message.eml 18.83 MB · 13 downloads

Thanks for the response. I like the seats and would like to keep them in there, they’re supportive and comfortable. They look good too. Does it look to your eyes as if the Flofit tracks were used or was some other kind of mounting fabbed up?

19 hours ago, visionaut said:

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/search/?q=Flofit&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=8

The first few threads here look to have lotsa info…

Thanks visionaut. I read through most of those before posting but didn’t find much info about mounting. Wanted to see if I could get some personal experiences before pulling mine and seeing what I could come up with.

My main question is for those who have installed them - did you use the stock ‘02 sliders?

• Solution
1 hour ago, djpdiag said:

read through most of those before posting but didn’t find much info about mounting.

From what I read there, it was mentioned you can use Recaro mounts since the seat frame width is the same (16”), though the Flofits are wider than Recaro above the base.

Others used square-frame style mounts made for Flofits that they bought from either Seat Source or Wedge Engineering directly.

And others fabbed their own, some by modifying E21 seat mounts, others by adding custom adapter plates to the welded  02 seat attachments.

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

23 hours ago, visionaut said:

From what I read there, it was mentioned you can use Recaro mounts since the seat frame width is the same (16”), though the Flofits are wider than Recaro above the base.

Others used square-frame style mounts made for Flofits that they bought from either Seat Source or Wedge Engineering directly.

And others fabbed their own, some by modifying E21 seat mounts, others by adding custom adapter plates to the welded  02 seat attachments.

Thanks again. Dont know how I missed the bit about the Recaro mounts being discussed. I think I am going to go this route.

I had read about the others but it appears Seat Source hasnt been an option in quite sometime and Wedge seems to only deal with Corbeau products these days. Apparently Seat Source was blowing these seats out at one point trying to rid themselves of unsold stock.

Thanks for your help!

• Like 1

@djpdiag I had a set of Flo-fits installed in my 02 on factory adapters. I've since sold them to another FAQ member. They're great seats and fit the car well.

The thing about the factory Flofit adapters is that they make the seats sit a little high in the car.

I ran into a similar issue with the ProCar seats I replaced them with. You can create simple flat adapters using thick gauge steel and use the BMW factory rails. See my blog post here for what we did for my ProCar seats. 

I hope that helps. 

James

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (sold)
1973 Mintgrun 2002 "Kermit" (sold)

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Weekender "Otto Van Gonzo"

I found the photos.  I bought extra fabric from flofit 117 years ago and a local shop rebuilt the rear bench with the factory frames and new foam to match the fronts. Cherry!

webmail.maui.jpg

webmail.maui-1.jpg

webmail.maui.jpg

On 1/1/2024 at 3:35 AM, MauiBob said:

I found the photos.  I bought extra fabric from flofit 117 years ago and a local shop rebuilt the rear bench with the factory frames and new foam to match the fronts. Cherry!

webmail.maui.jpg

webmail.maui-1.jpg

webmail.maui.jpg

Thanks for leaving this here. That looks fantastic. Super clean install, like they were installed from the factory. 

On 12/31/2023 at 12:01 AM, Steve Tochi said:

I installed some flofits I purchased locally and they came with the "Massive" aluminum adapters which are flat and pre-drilled.   IIRC, seemed pretty simple to get some hardware and mount adapters to the seat, then to factory rail. 

Thanks! Did you use these with the OEM ‘02 sliders? 

On 12/30/2023 at 7:58 PM, Teelinger said:

Here's the ad for the seats I sold for pics of them in the car:

Thanks so much. They look great and similar to mine in color/material. 

Did you use the existing ‘02 sliders with the adapters you mentioned in the post? The sliders on my Flofits look a bit different than these. 

Posted (edited)

I removed the passenger side seat from the car a little while ago to try to make sense of what’s here and what isn’t. 

The seats have the Flofit sliders and front and rear side mounting points in place. There’s a mounting base bolted to the floor of the car that I don’t recognize the origin of. The seat was bolted to this base using the mounting points at the ends of the sliders, holes drilled into the base at a 90 angle vs the seat. The brackets coming off of the sliders with the 3 holes and at a 90 degree angle were “secured” with nuts and bolts to that frame. 

IMG_6855.jpeg

IMG_6854.jpeg

IMG_6856.jpeg

Edited by djpdiag