• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 Wiring Harness - Frankenstein???

thompsac25

Hey everyone!

I recently took over an '02 project car and I am trying to sort through some of the wiring. Just a little background information, the car was originally a 1976 automatic. It had very little rust on the front end, so the previous owner chopped it off, put a '73 front on, as well as swapped in a '73 motor and manual trans. 

I decided to pulled the wiring harness out of the car since it was a mess and looked like it was just tossed in the engine bay. I discovered that the previous owner dropped the wiring harness into the car from the '73, but also left majority of the harness from the '76. The 76 harness was cut inside the car, and it goes all the through the trunk to tails etc.

Is there a way to Frankenstein the '73 front harness with the '76 rear harness? 

If not, I have the full '73 harness - so hypothetically could I pull the '76 harness out and use the full '73 harness? I compared the wires and based on color alone, there are some differences. I'm pretty sure the taillight wiring would not be the same. 

Thoughts?

PIC FOR ATTENTION!

I can provide pics of the wiring harnesses as well if needed.

IMG_4123.JPG

When you say "front and back wiring harnesses" did the PO actually disconnect the engine room harness from the main car harness, or just cut away?  

A roundie 73 harness is quite different from a squarelight 76, and it's gonna be a bitch to try and make em play nicely together.  Fuse setup is completely different, and the 76 has a lot more emission electrics than the '73.  You may be better off to use either one or the other rather than trying to mate 'em.

BTW, there are a gaggle of 02 owners here in SW Ohio, with a loosely organized group:  the Rivertown Gear Busters.  We primarily do countryside drives in the spring and fall, plus other getogethers.  PM me and I'll get you in touch with the folks that do the RGB facebook page.

mike

PS--if the harness was cut aft of the dashboard (only the wires that go to the tail lights, brake lights and turn signals), there may be hope if you can match up the wires from the '73 harness, keeping in mind that the wiring colors may be different, and left and right tail lights have separate wires on different circuits.  What you need is a detailed wiring schematic for US spec 73 and 76 cars, with the latter showing wiring for the automatic that isn't needed on a stick shift car.

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

5 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

When you say "front and back wiring harnesses" did the PO actually disconnect the engine room harness from the main car harness, or just cut away?  

A roundie 73 harness is quite different from a squarelight 76, and it's gonna be a bitch to try and make em play nicely together.  Fuse setup is completely different, and the 76 has a lot more emission electrics than the '73.  You may be better off to use either one or the other rather than trying to mate 'em.

BTW, there are a gaggle of 02 owners here in SW Ohio, with a loosely organized group:  the Rivertown Gear Busters.  We primarily do countryside drives in the spring and fall, plus other getogethers.  PM me and I'll get you in touch with the folks that do the RGB facebook page.

mike

PS--if the harness was cut aft of the dashboard (only the wires that go to the tail lights, brake lights and turn signals), there may be hope if you can match up the wires from the '73 harness, keeping in mind that the wiring colors may be different, and left and right tail lights have separate wires on different circuits.  What you need is a detailed wiring schematic for US spec 73 and 76 cars, with the latter showing wiring for the automatic that isn't needed on a stick shift car.

To me, the 73 harness looks complete. The 76 harness was cut AFTER the dash - the 76 wiring harness starts by the drivers seat and goes back to the tails. I figured if I was to Frankenstein it with the 73, the colors of the wires may not match when spliced together. I also fear that splicing them may cause more opportunities for failure later vs. just using the full 73 harness. I just don't know what's missing if I use the 73 harness since I know the 76 has more fuses. If someone here can link me to wiring harness diagrams for both, that might be easier to decipher. I've search and found a plethora of drawings (mostly hand-drawings) of wiring harnesses but its starting to look foreign to me. Its honestly stressing me out haha.

I am already a member of RTGB! I posted this same question on the Facebook group awhile back. Was hoping someone local would be willing to tackle the wiring project for me, since this is not my skillset.

As Mike pointed out the rear harness is fundamentally the same, other than the tail light plugs between the round and Squair light cars, both have a 12 fuse box, admittedly the fuses are wired to different circuits,  but you could use your best harness and go from there with a bit of fiddling.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Maybe buy a complete 76 harness. The engine form a 73 is identical so its more important to match the harness to the body as the lights and dash board controls in a 76 are different than 73.

There is a complete 76 front and rear harness on ebay for $700

• Like 1

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

15 hours ago, Georges said:

Everything is 50 years old; no point in risking a fire. I would just rewire the car with a new harness since it's not that hard and you would obtain peace of mind.

In my research, there arent really replacement harnesses available for purchase. Most of it is custom work or replacing with another used harness, which puts me back in the same situation that I'm currently in.

15 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

As Mike pointed out the rear harness is fundamentally the same, other than the tail light plugs between the round and Squair light cars, both have a 12 fuse box, admittedly the fuses are wired to different circuits,  but you could use your best harness and go from there with a bit of fiddling.

Yeah, I feel like maybe using the full 73 harness would be the best option in this scenario. 

3 hours ago, Stevenc22 said:

Maybe buy a complete 76 harness. The engine form a 73 is identical so its more important to match the harness to the body as the lights and dash board controls in a 76 are different than 73.

There is a complete 76 front and rear harness on ebay for $700

Ideally if I can use my 73 harness, that would be most cost-effective. I cant imagine the lights and dash controls are that much different between model years, but maybe I'm wrong...

If your '73 harness still has the fuse box attached, that will be a great help in adapting the 73 harness to your '76.  And the other thing you can do that might save you some time is to identify wire colors for the tail lights, brake lights, rear turn signals,license plate lights and rear defroster on your '73 harness and match 'em up with the rear lights harness still attached to your car.  That will save you the hassle of snaking the rear lights harness back to the car's rear panel. 

Just remember that a '73 has the "on street parking light" feature that allows you to select a left or right turn with your turn signal lever (ign/acc off at the ign switch) and the selected parking light and tail light will illuminate.  That means the two parking lights and tail lights are on separate circuits (left and right); I don't know if US 76s have that feature, so those lights may be wired differently.

mike  

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, Mike Self said:

If your '73 harness still has the fuse box attached, that will be a great help in adapting the 73 harness to your '76.  And the other thing you can do that might save you some time is to identify wire colors for the tail lights, brake lights, rear turn signals,license plate lights and rear defroster on your '73 harness and match 'em up with the rear lights harness still attached to your car.  That will save you the hassle of snaking the rear lights harness back to the car's rear panel. 

Just remember that a '73 has the "on street parking light" feature that allows you to select a left or right turn with your turn signal lever (ign/acc off at the ign switch) and the selected parking light and tail light will illuminate.  That means the two parking lights and tail lights are on separate circuits (left and right); I don't know if US 76s have that feature, so those lights may be wired differently.

mike  

Thanks, Mike! That is super helpful information to know! 

There are lots of universal kits that go from simple to elaborate. I used one from American Autowire like this one. 

WWW.SUMMITRACING.COM

Free Shipping - American Autowire Power Plus 13 Wiring Harness Kits with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Wiring Harnesses at Summit Racing.

engine small.jpg

I rewired/redesigned my entire electrical system, not really recommended due to the amount of work. The only part of my original harness that was salvageable was the rear section, from the dashboard back.  It's way simpler and easier to sort out

than the front and survived in my case because it doesn't go near weather, doesn't go near hot stuff under the hood, and doesn't really include any of the design goofyness that goes on up front.  My '68 doesn't have the later heated rear window.

On 12/15/2023 at 11:24 PM, Georges said:

There are lots of universal kits that go from simple to elaborate. I used one from American Autowire like this one. 

WWW.SUMMITRACING.COM

Free Shipping - American Autowire Power Plus 13 Wiring Harness Kits with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Wiring Harnesses at Summit Racing.

This seems like a lot more work than trying to utilize my current harnesses.

On 12/16/2023 at 8:13 AM, calw said:

I rewired/redesigned my entire electrical system, not really recommended due to the amount of work. The only part of my original harness that was salvageable was the rear section, from the dashboard back.  It's way simpler and easier to sort out

than the front and survived in my case because it doesn't go near weather, doesn't go near hot stuff under the hood, and doesn't really include any of the design goofyness that goes on up front.  My '68 doesn't have the later heated rear window.

Yeah, sounds like a tremendous amount of work. I think I'm going to try to use my complete '73 harness