• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

China made Mahle filter

Just got an OC25 filter from FCP Euro and apparently they are made in China now. Fortunately I had a couple made in Austria in stock on the shelf. 

It may not matter to everyone, but I’d prefer a euro made filter. Guess I’ll start seeing what’s still made over there. I know China is capable of making a good product, but usually when manufacturing is shipped there it’s to meet a price point , not quality. 

18333336-7E0D-4ECC-A4DE-8B40BCD0FD7F.jpeg

• Sad 3

Yeah, Mahle/Clevite is going the way of the Capital WonderCountry.

Mahle/Behr, same story.

Wix has been consistently good, if you're in a pinch- usually, that's what's

in the US Bosch boxes.  

t

still waiting for the trickle down.

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I've been using the WIX 51374.  They look nice if you peel the sticker off. The last one I bought was made in Mexico.  They're almost $15 after Wa. tax.

image.thumb.jpeg.90154e0e722bf1159551db842b42d828.jpeg

Here's a thread that discusses them.

Here's a thread inspired by @ray_'s post.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/wix-oil-filters-made-in-usa-made-in-china.364752/

Tom

I'm still going through the European Mann and Mahle filters I won over the years at Mid America 😁.

"Back in the day"--at the dawn of 2002-dom in the US--the only filters you could find at other than the dealerships was Wix and Baldwin--and they were hard to find.  No domestic companies made filters for '02s, and neither Mahle nor Mann filters were available.   I learned the hard way that Opel Kadett filters would fit but weren't identical internally.  No pressure relief valve, so the M10's high oil pressure when cold would at least bulge if not blow the Opel filter.   Anyone need a NOS Opel Kadett filter?

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

30 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

Anyone need a NOS Opel Kadett filter?

mike

Which engine/model/ID for that filter? The Rallye Kadett with the 1.9 engine is the same as the Opel GT (although our Opel GT shares the filter with our Ford Fiesta so I've never had any problems finding a filter - as long as I get the shallow version so it doesn't hit anything, just can't trust application guides).

Life is too short to drink bad beers or drive boring cars. Just don't do both at the same time

Nothing Boring in our garage: 1966 Lotus Elan S2 S/E, 1968 Lancia Fulvia Rallye Coupe 1.3, 1968 Mercedes-Benz 280S, 1969 Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce, 1972 BMW 2000tii touring, 1973 Opel GT, 1973 Triumph TR6, 1973 Porsche 914, 1979 Triumph Spitfire w/GT6 engine, 2003 Jaguar XKR, 2005 Lotus Elise

In my former job, we received company publishings from our parent company (Mann+Hummel). Some articles included details of confiscated ocean containers of imitation filters (air and oil) that were very dubious quality. It’s very difficult policing this type of activity.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Sadly this.  I wonder what percentage of a new Ford or Chevy truck is made in China these days?  I sure do love my Chinese made iPhone though 😆

HellaChina.jpg

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

I bought an Official Motorcraft Ford Windsor water pump the other year-

made in china stickers all over it.

Having said that, the pump's been OK, it's the rebuilt Centric brake calipers that have screwed me over...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL