• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hoffman Motors Price Sheet for BMW 1600 Alpina Conversion

That’s awesome! Hopefully there’s some Hoffman Memos in there as well.

• Like 2

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Oh, boy, Ken!

Even if we never know how many of these "Alpina factory" options were purchased for U.S.-bound cars, this is an amazing document.

1. Who knew such specific offerings were available through Hoffman Motors as the U.S. importer?

2. I notice that transportation was "to and from the Alpina factory" (italics added). This implies that there was a category of Alpina factory-prepped U.S.-bound cars, those that shipped directly from the BMW factory to the U.S. Port of Entry -- but which took an earlier round-trip, via truck, I'd guess, to Alpina. For cars delivered to Alpina "as a retail BMW dealer" and then modified by Alpina, the BMW Group Archives history seems to document that delivery was to, for instance, Bovensiepen. That's the previously-known category, and unambiguous. But a car that went to Bovensiepen, returned to Munich, and was then delivered to "Hoffman Motors in NYC", won't have the tidy document trail with evidence of its Alpina round-trip. It's a second category of factory Alpina! And virtually impossible to enumerate. Do they exist? Do they survive?

3. Dated April 24, 1967, does all this -- by which I mean the dual sidedraft Webers installed at the Alpina factory -- end with the start of the 1968 model year? The U.S. EPA dropped the boom on emissions. I'd guess the answer is yes: it had to end. BMW could not Federalize and import the 1600ti or the 2002ti: I doubt that Hoffman could offer essentially the same upgrade and pass U.S. Customs. And "90-120" days for delivery doesn't leave much time from this offering until the 1968 model year, and 1968 emissions regulations, arrive! Was this Hoffman offering simply too late?

So, who has a 1967, or even an early 1968 1600-2, with Weber's that appear to be "of the period"? Could you have Hoffman's "factory Alpina" option? Do you also have tachometer in lieu of a clock, with a manufacturing date no later than your car's manufacturing date? Certainly we have forum members who can date, roughly or precisely, 1960's Webers!

Just to place things in perspective, a 1967 1600-2 was approximately a $2,700 car. $395 for Webers and a tachometer represented approximately 15% of the car's price.

Regardless of these questions, or their answers, a great document!

Thanks for sharing!

Best,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I wonder if the "and from" was from Alpina to the shipping port, and not back to BMW?

The Car and Driver Alpina went from Alpina to the shipping port, but it was a "serviceman" car and wasn't imported through Hoffman, but it makes me wonder if any Alpina modified Hoffman imported cars took the same route. 

I assume that the tach would have the Alpina name added as they did back then, so I would think identifying cars with the carbs/tach package installed by Alpina would be identified by the Alpina labeled tach - but I don't know how you'd distinguish them from a car that had them added later, either by Alpina, by the owner, or Alpina parts resellers. And the tach was available separately

What we really need is a Hoffman delivery car window sticker with the Alpina goodies listed! 

• Like 2

Koboldtopf - '67 1600-2

Einhorn - '74 tii

11 hours ago, BarrettN said:

… I wonder if the "and from" was from Alpina to the shipping port, and not back to BMW?

The Car and Driver Alpina went from Alpina to the shipping port, but it was a "serviceman" car and wasn't imported through Hoffman, but it makes me wonder if any Alpina modified Hoffman imported cars took the same route…

That sounds very possible to me, Barrett. But the BMW Group Archives data still probably misses that brief visit to Burkard Bovensiepen K.G… 😉

The Car and Driver car pre-dates the Hoffman memo by months. Hoffman, ever the salesman and watching the market, is attempting to capture a subset of new 1600-2 buyers that don’t have the enormous budget required to pull off a full “Car and Driver car”, which more than doubled the price of a stock 1600-2!

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 1 month later...

…$225 in 1969 dollars equals $1860 in 2023 dollars. I’d totally pay even that for a brand new close ratio five speed now. 😝

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20