• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel replacement for 1972 2002

Go to solution Solved by layers,

@Pablo M, I wish the 14" steelies were sub-$400 from Blunt!  They are sitting at $512.94 for the kit with centercaps and lugnuts. Still a good deal, IMO. https://www.blunttech.com/shop/replacement-parts/36111178826btkt

Couple more links to items mentioned above:

15" Rota Alpina copies: https://www.iemotorsport.com/product/alpina-style-wheel-4x100/

Not sure if this is close to you in CA, but it's an example of the bottlecaps mentioned above. https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/wto/d/montebello-four-14-inch-bmw-e30/7617534003.html In general e30 bottlecaps are still dang cheap. There are a couple sets local to me for $150 right now. Your minilites are widely regarded as the "cooler" wheel for 2002s over bottlecaps, but sometimes wheels are just 100% personal preference. 

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the effort and info. I've heard from several that the minilites are more desirable than what I thought; however, I think I prefer the look of the E30 bottlecaps if they're in good shape. The Rota Alpinas are killer; except they apparently aren't available in 14" (and then there's the cost). Bing

54 minutes ago, popovm said:

@Pablo M, I wish the 14" steelies were sub-$400 from Blunt!  They are sitting at $512.94 for the kit with centercaps and lugnuts. Still a good deal, IMO. https://www.blunttech.com/shop/replacement-parts/36111178826btkt

Ah yes. I wasn't looking with center caps as I had some and I had my old steelie lugs. FCPEuro has them for $82/each plus free shipping. Wonder how much for the center caps there?

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

22 hours ago, Pablo M said:

Ah yes. I wasn't looking with center caps as I had some and I had my old steelie lugs. FCPEuro has them for $82/each plus free shipping. Wonder how much for the center caps there?

Nice! That's a good tip if/when I go that direction. 

• Like 1

To Georges- Car's running great. Had it checked over at La Jolla Independent BMW Service a few months ago (a legendary shop in San Diego for older BMWs); and aside from routine oil and filter, replaced the fuel pump (redline rotary) and fuel hoses, added new mounts to the alternator, replaced one spark plug, and repaired the odometers. It's a blast to drive- very tight and no problem at 75mph freeway speeds. Handles well. I'll probably opt for E30 14" bottlecap wheels with Falken Azinis 195/60-14's. Still need to have the fuel gauge repaired,  but having the odometers now keeps me from running out of gas.

• Like 2

Wheels are like shoes totally personal, the only thing I’d say is don’t sell your minilites, you never know you may like them in the future🙄 not that I have a shed of wheels that I never use or anything like that.

Though I have been known to sit amongst them for hours admiring them … think Gollum and the ring😜

e30 bottlecaps are underrated, the widened ones are cool!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Your wheels may be mini lights and if so they have some value  Keep them when you do a change out you can find someone who is interested  The reality is that 13 inch tires are very limited except for unknown names produced by Asian makers.  !4 inch tires are a little more plentiful so do a tire search  Wheels are a totally personal decision. For example I really dislike Bottlecaps for their looks but they work just fine.

I would ,   and have used 14 inch e30 basket weaves because they have a more appropriate time period look and have the same dimensions as Bottlecaps.  I mentioned to you a couple of weeks ago in Encinitas there was a set on a car in the lot that night that are available , but if they are not your thing then there not your thing  Good luck with your search 

On 5/25/2023 at 10:29 PM, rstclark said:

… The reality is that 13 inch tires are very limited except for unknown names produced by Asian makers…

Well… that assumes the brands shown below are Asian: Pirelli, Michelin, Dunlop, and Avon… 😁

The screenshot below is from the Longstone Tyre website. Many of us, in the U.S., buy our ‘02 tires from Longstone because of their prices and service — and selection of high-quality tires. Great 13” tires? You bet. But if you’re looking for cheap, no-name Asian tires, it’s probably not the place… 😉

Best regards,

Steve

IMG_1733.png

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

On 5/25/2023 at 7:29 PM, rstclark said:

Your wheels may be mini lights and if so they have some value  Keep them when you do a change out you can find someone who is interested  The reality is that 13 inch tires are very limited except for unknown names produced by Asian makers.  !4 inch tires are a little more plentiful so do a tire search  Wheels are a totally personal decision. For example I really dislike Bottlecaps for their looks but they work just fine.

I would ,   and have used 14 inch e30 basket weaves because they have a more appropriate time period look and have the same dimensions as Bottlecaps.  I mentioned to you a couple of weeks ago in Encinitas there was a set on a car in the lot that night that are available , but if they are not your thing then there not your thing  Good luck with your search 

@thebingster Nice meeting you a few weeks back!  Great looking car.

As Rob mentioned, I'll be parting with my basket weaves within the next week, let me know if you're interested.  

image.thumb.png.572074a0aaa9be3c4581c788788ebc09.png

Engine bay OCD is a real problem

@02carbs 

Thanks for reaching out, however, I did decide to go with the e30 bottlecaps and have since found a set in great condition. I'm sure you'll have no problem getting a good price for yours based on the condition they are in. Bing

• Like 2