• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clutch master cylinder leak

Dickie

Hi all

Had such great support from this network - thank you. I bought my car fully restored and picked up the snagging list. Strangely I’ve enjoyed ticking off the list . One thing I am really puzzled by. Had a continuous leak from the clutch master cylinder despite replacing it 3 times from 2 suppliers. Last summer out of desperation (it’s a paintwork nightmare) I notice looking at pics of other cars pedal mine looked out of alignment. So I pull it back in line by bending the pedal straight. It fixed the leak for 2 months until it returned. Could the issue be my pedal? If so where might I find one and is it a simple item to replace? Or anything else I could consider as the culprit? 

Some pictures might help, sometimes its something obvious.

It could be where the master cylinder mounts to the pedal box is loose or broken.

Replacing the clutch pedal requires removing the pedal box.

You can put an ad up in the parts wanted section for a clutch pedal or whole pedal box.

Ouch! I’m told pedal box removal

Is a huge task. I’ll take some pics at the weekend although I had the CMC’s  fitted by 3 different garages so unlikely a fitting issue. That’s why I’m so confused. It’s the last item on my snagging list. 

Actually there is a story to this. First one I bought the guy welded the nuts onto the cylinder to ease fitting. Then it leaked and so I assumed it was the welding. Replaced it and left that garage. 2nd one fitted by very credible garage. When I collected the car he told me the pedal was high and I needed a bump stop fitting. This leaked and so I bought another from a new supplier and 3rd guy fitted it. He told me it was faulty and the rod was coming out due to circling too small it circling groove too small. The dealer replaced it but after reviewing said there was nothing wrong. Quite a story to this. I’ve searched blogs extensively but nobody seems I have had this issue. Fluid drops inside on my rubber mat coming though the push to gaiter. Baffled and piss off TBH. I’d not only be happier but wealthier if I can sort this issue. 

• Sad 1

If the circlip is not fitted it may leak simply because the m/cyl piston exits the bore of the hydraulic cylinder. The combination of the pushrod, slotted washer and circlip act to limit the travel of the piston and define the 'rest position' of the pedal. Quite unusual for all-new M/cyls to leak.... the bent pedal bit I dont understand.

• Like 1

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

Take pics and then take apart the leaking MC and send some close-up pics.  I feel with that information the experts on the forum will straiten you out before the good weather hits ....although I am not sure how bad it gets in Rutland. :) 

• Like 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Actually the last replacement cylinder had a proper rebore was relined and re machined. I ave reasonable confidence. The comment “Unless the bent pedal is preventing the push rod fron centering on the piston and pushing it at a angle” seems likely to me. I love the car so much it just has to be right. I am considering a refurbished pedal box. Does anyone know if they differ RHD LHD. Mine is RHD. I bet they do. Perhaps a rebuild although it’s not a job I have the ability to undertake myself. 

54 minutes ago, Dickie said:

Does anyone know if they differ RHD LHD

Very different...to the extent that there are few (no?) shared parts...both hydraulic cylinders ar RHD specific.

• Like 1

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

As dlacey stated--RHD 2002 pedals are totally different from LHD cars.  RHD cars have hanging brake and clutch pedals, while LHD cars have 'em sprouting up from the floor.  Regardless, though, the pedal travel is adjustable, and it's just possible that your clutch pedal is adjusted so that the stroke is too long, so that when the pedal is pushed all the way in, it forces the clutch M/C's innards too far forward, damaging the cups and seals. 

And...is it possible that the mechanics have been fitting a LHD M/C to your car?  Check the Realoem site to see if the LHD and RHD parts carry a different number...

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Apologies Tech71. I should have thought. Interested in Mikes comment about adjustment preventing the pedal travel being excessive. I’ll look at the weekend. Is it obvious where this adjuster is? Also the first unit I bought was supplied as RHD but my car I was told by the supplier had a LHD CMC fitted. He said BMW got their left and right mixed up in the early days when shipping to UK. He said the only difference being the entry on the pipes (opposite side). I’ll take a look at the weekend and consult realoem. Never heard of this site before so thank you .