• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clutch Release Bearing

markmac

Starting to make a push to get my Alpina car finished off.  So many little details.  This is one of them.  Clutch release bearing.  Other than knowing what it is and how it works, I know very little (especially as it relates to wear/tear).  The car uses an AP Racing twin plate 184mm racing clutch.  In the day, they used a Getrag 235/6 race box (I am putting a 235/5 in it).  I am reasonably sure this is the original part the car was built with (given the '73' date stamp) - assuming that is true, it's a 50 year old wear part.  This part appears to be a catalog part that had a 15mm (+/-) extension welded on to it.

Is it a foregone conclusion that given the age of the part and that it was used in a race application you replace it?  Seems kind of obvious but again have no experience with this particular part and how to know if it is useable (or not).  Assuming it is a goner, then you get the where to find the replacement.

CRB1.jpg

CRB2.jpg

CRB3.jpg

If you don't care for originality you might replace it with a modern hydraulic.
If not they are still available you'd have to create the extension or grind it off and move it to the new one.
Or run it until it's defect and replace then. A Gearbox is out in an hour.
These are the comparison numbers 
1 200 023.4 1 204 225.4 12000234 12042254 BORG BECK HD 1234, HD1234 INA F-37835 F37835 LUK 500003320 QUINTON HA CCT302 SACHS, 3151 040 031 3151040031 3151 040 131 3151040131 3151 141 102, 3151141102 3151 141 202 3151141202 SKF VKC 2126 VKC2126, TRIPLEFIVE 375 763 375763 N 3734 N3734 VALEO 357804

Edited by uai
  • Like 1

No idea on how it measures to a standard bearing (nothing to compare to).  As far as 'originality' goes to the extent that I keep things original I try to do that - unless there is something that is modern that improves functionality and reliability (ie., like a sequential gear box or similar, that is non-period).  Retro Engineering makes a AP Racing Coax kit - it would be about $950 and some change plus shipping.  I would rather not spend a thousand bux on a clutch release bearing at this point.  If I can get the right bearing, I would just have that steel extension piece fabricated and attached.  

I am guessing that not all bearings are the same in terms of high speed.  Given the rpm range this engine lives at it definitely needs to be the right part.

Bobs your uncle.  As long as the 102/202 are the same or essntially the same (?), it should work.  At the end of the day, eventhough shipping from the UK is almost as much as the part itself, even with the fab of the extension, substantially less than the coax version.

s-l1600.jpg