• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'63 VW Karmann Ghia wiper shaft mod?

Anyone seen this windshield wiper arrangement before?  Driven this car year round for 20 yrs and never replaced the blades but I'm getting there.

To me it looks like the PO cut off the original arms and then attached just the end of a different set of arms.  The whole thing just looks weird.  I believe the existing arm section is original to the car since the motor and linkage are original.

I'm guessing, for replacement, I just need to find or modify new stock rubber blades and slide them in?

DSC_0934.thumb.JPG.d7431eda1c1c8091e53baaa69213159c.JPG

From the other side:

DSC_0936.thumb.JPG.b6359451ba1fc76112ed46022c38dfcf.JPG

Love to hear opinions on whats been done here?

That looks custom alright.  The bottom end where it attaches to the pivot pin is longer than the VW style.  Searching parts vendors images will show the details and tell which years they changed.

I did some google image searching and found this image of a '63 ghia.  They're similar to the ones on my beetles at the attachment end, but the arm is longer.

Volkswagen Karmann Ghia | Classicbid

If you're content with the style of your customized arms, it might be as simple as cutting blades to length to fit.  (if they don't sell short enough ones)  I know the blade width can vary, so I'd take one of them to the parts store with you to make sure they match.

Tom

I'm ok with the current set up and will keep using it it.  There must be a good reason someone would go through the trouble of this adaptation. If your look closely you can see they bent the end of the arm 90 degrees.  Not sure I could do that with my bench vise.

Thanks Tom, I'll take one with me and see what blades are similar. 

I googled up arms and found this one on ePay that looks like yours.

s-l400.jpg
WWW.EBAY.COM

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Fits 1956-1967 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia Windshield Wiper Arm Front Anco 58957VX 1 at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

45 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I googled up arms and found this one on ePay that looks like yours.

I concur, those EPay ads look like mine, so not home made.  I'm happy to run whatever is on there, but will follow through and learn why this odd arm was ever needed.