• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front seat pad and backrest part numbers

R.I.P.B.M.W.
Go to solution Solved by Conserv,

As I am looking at the part numbers on Realoem for factory front seat and backrest cushions I see two distinct parts groups. A search through previous posts lists: 52111824773, 52111824774, and 52121824775(x2) as per "Conserv" as being the correct parts for his '73 seats. The question, for me, would be; what are 52101841668(x2) and 52101882695(x2) on the same page pertaining to and could they also be used/adapted to a '73. Thanks to all the Cognoscenti in advance.

• Solution

When I use Maximilian BMW’s Website, and type in my ‘73, only the …773, …774, and …775 pads appear (first screen print below, highlighted in green). But when I type in my ‘76, both the the …773, …774, and …775 pads appear and the …668 and …695 pads appear (second screen print, highlighted in blue). So I’m guessing that the latter pads are intended for the 1975-76 seats, which clearly use the early e21 seat frame, and not the 1966-1974 ‘02 seat frame (there were changes to the ‘02 frame over time).

This, of course, doesn’t answer your question. The 1975-76 seats are more “bucketed” than the earlier ‘02 seats. But perhaps much of this different shape lies within the seat frame and not the seat pads. I don’t know. The 1975-76 seat pads would have the close-set holes for headrest supports, versus the earlier widespread holes on ‘02 seats. But making a couple new holes for headrest supports would seem to be easy. I don’t know how different the rest of the pads might be — which is what you’re really asking!

It’s only a vague recollection, but I seem to recall someone on this forum swapping the pads and not having a bad outcome!

So much for my helpful advice… 😉

Regards,

Steve

29E9CF85-E39F-453D-AA61-E54590B6884D.jpeg

89F64984-9FA8-4925-ABCF-691F7D12A072.jpeg

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 2 weeks later...

thumbnail_IMG_1746.thumb.jpg.898f91a54b6af290b244a452cab46a84.jpg   Sorry for the delay in my response as family and the Christmas Spirit took over these last couple of weeks. Looking at  my part #'s I have the two ...668 and the two ...695 pads in my possession.  Appears that driver's seat back frame (on right) might fit into the new seat back pad. The seat pad however, might take some modifications as was previously suggested by Conserv. I will wait for seat covers to soften in the sunlight and then try the whole grunt n' stretch procedure. I'm not sure of my gummihare modification skills so I don't want to cut and ruin a good set of late pads. If this angle  doesn't  work, I'll check and see if the correct parts are available or can be made for less than a king's ransom.

• Like 1