• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB or borrow - heavy duty open barrel crimp tool

Spyke

Hi Spyke--

I have a crimping tool, see photo.  The tool says it's for 22-10 Gauge wires in 3 steps.  I bought it about 40 years ago from Honeywell Computer surplus in Phoenix and at one time it was calibrated for their computer production line.  When you start the crimp and the ratchet engages, you need to finish the crimp before it will release.

I suppose it's borrowable but not for long.  And Walnut Creek is a pretty long drive from the South Bay (maybe a day drive over Mt. Hamilton then North through Livermore and over Morgan Territory Rd. to Clayton, the scenic longer route?).

If you're planning to drive NT49MD on 10 Dec. and have your wires ready I expect to be there (IF Covid-19 cooperates-- I'm planning to test negative tomorrow...).  What do you think?

Larry

AMP crimp tool from honeywell 221128.jpg

Larry Ayers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

’73 Malaga— first car, now gone

'74tii Malaga

10 hours ago, BGB said:

I’ll join the crimping party if you find one! I’m across the bridge around 94117. I have a battery cable project I’d like to finish

Definitely willing to go halfsies! I have a hex hydraulic compression tool as well, that worked for my 1/0 thru 2 AWG main cables too. I just need something like the Hero to do the 10-12 AWG ring terminals and some open barrel splice points.

9 hours ago, layers said:

Hi Spyke--

I have a crimping tool, see photo.  The tool says it's for 22-10 Gauge wires in 3 steps.  I bought it about 40 years ago from Honeywell Computer surplus in Phoenix and at one time it was calibrated for their computer production line.  When you start the crimp and the ratchet engages, you need to finish the crimp before it will release.

I suppose it's borrowable but not for long.  And Walnut Creek is a pretty long drive from the South Bay (maybe a day drive over Mt. Hamilton then North through Livermore and over Morgan Territory Rd. to Clayton, the scenic longer route?).

If you're planning to drive NT49MD on 10 Dec. and have your wires ready I expect to be there (IF Covid-19 cooperates-- I'm planning to test negative tomorrow...).  What do you think?

Larry

AMP crimp tool from honeywell 221128.jpg

I've looked at a few variants of these and I'm skeptical the profile is correct for what I need. This looks like a dual dimple compression, rather than the "B" crimp I am needing. I go through Walnut Creek daily around 3-3:30 for commute if it's possible to swing by and check it out? Thanks for the offer Larry.

31436374517_8d8d287049_o.jpg.2d76303dce729a94519ce58b66156f83.jpg

Hi Spyke--

I made a couple of crimps as you see in the top&bottom photos below.  While obviously the terminal was too large for the wires, I think you can see the pattern.  I do not recall ever having a problem with my crimps in the past, a key reason I'm careful about loaning it out.

Let me know if you want to stop by for a look (PM might get a faster response).  I'm near Heather Farms Park.

Larry

Crimp with AMP tool bottom_221130.jpg

Crimp with AMP tool top_221130.jpg

Larry Ayers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

’73 Malaga— first car, now gone

'74tii Malaga

Ah, extremely kind of you Larry, thanks!! As  expected I do need a different style of crimp, at least for the ring terminals.

The splices I could go either way, but my ring terminals require the "B" style. Thanks so much for your offer and time however!

***Ended up just buying the Hero from Japan if anyone else is interested. Thanks all!

Edited by Spyke

31436374517_8d8d287049_o.jpg.2d76303dce729a94519ce58b66156f83.jpg

• BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

Unveiling of the Neue Klasse Unveiled in 1961, BMW 1500 sedan was a revolutionary concept at the outset of the '60s. No tail fins or chrome fountains. Instead, what you got was understated and elegant, in a modern sense, exciting to drive as nearly any sports car, and yet still comfortable for four.   The elegant little sedan was an instant sensation. In the 1500, BMW not only found the long-term solution to its dire business straits but, more importantly, created an entirely new
    History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

In 1966, BMW was practically unknown in the US unless you were a touring motorcycle enthusiast or had seen an Isetta given away on a quiz show.  BMW’s sales in the US that year were just 1253 cars.  Then BMW 1600-2 came to America’s shores, tripling US sales to 4564 the following year, boosted by favorable articles in the Buff Books. Car and Driver called it “the best $2500 sedan anywhere.”  Road & Track’s road test was equally enthusiastic.  Then, BMW took a cue from American manufacturers,
    The BMW 2002 Production Run

The BMW 2002 Production Run

BMW 02 series are like the original Volkswagen Beetles in one way (besides both being German classic cars)—throughout their long production, they all essentially look alike—at least to the uninitiated:  small, boxy, rear-wheel drive, two-door sedan.  Aficionados know better.   Not only were there three other body styles—none, unfortunately, exported to the US—but there were some significant visual and mechanical changes over their eleven-year production run.   I’ve extracted t
  • Upcoming Events

• Supporting Vendors