Help! Checking for fuel spark and air on my 1968 1600

RoulerCo

Hi! Before I start I just want to point out I am very much a rookie when it comes to DIY mechanics, so I apologise if this sounds like a silly question. But I want to know more and I’m keen to learn mechanics to help look after my car.

I recently tried to start my car and the engine has stopped starting, however it does crank.

what I am keen to know is where are the key places to check for fuel flow and where are the best places to check for spark?

I think my air intake is fine, but it might be worth checking that too. 

Any advice for this situation for a rookie car mechanic would be awesome!

Thanks,

Dan

There is lots of info if you search for it. That is the response you will get.  It is all here, so at least appear to attempt to read some of it.    If you are not into that sort of thing, then let folks know the general area you are in and they will recommend a place to have it towed. 

To get you started. 

In short, try the following. 

1) Pull the plug and put it back into the boot, put it on the valve cover so that the threaded part is touching metal.  Roll it over to see if you have spark.  No spark, then search that term. 

Start there, and search the forum for the other information.  

Suggested searches. 

Setting points

Checking for bad coil

Check for power to coil

Ballast resistor.

Carb float

Ignition switch issues.

Also post some pics of your engine compartment and list of recently changed parts sometimes helps. 

Regards

41 minutes ago, Dudeland said:

In short, try the following. 

1) Pull the plug and put it back into the boot, put it on the valve cover so that the threaded part is touching metal.  Roll it over to see if you have spark.  No spark, then search that term. 

You might want to clarify that "roll it over" refers to the engine, not the plug.

There used to be a copy of the blue book service manual in the archives. Failing that, find a Haynes manual.

Edited by Hans
Clarity
  • Like 1