Koni Adjustable Front Strut Torque Spec.

Senna27

Go to solution Solved by tzei,

My car developed a front suspension rattle the other day. We put my car on the hoist and thoroughly checking all the suspension components. After seeing nothing obvious, we put the car back on the ground. If we grabbed the strut bar and shook the car, you could hear a clicking noise. As my buddy shook the car, I put my hand on the the nut at the top of the shock and felt some movement. That was it, the nut was loose. I couldn't find a torque spec. for the nut, so I used what I figured was a reasonable amount of force. A day later it was loose again. 

They're Koni Yellow Sport Adjustable shocks. There's a bearing at the top then a spacer, lock nut and the nut. I concerned that if I use too much force it will damage the bearing or make it difficult to turn the wheel. Anyone have a set up like this and know what the proper torque spec. should be? I suppose I could swap out that nut for a nyloc hex nut. 

IMG-4304.JPG

IMG-4331.JPG

Edited by Senna27

12 hours ago, stephers said:

You need a nyloc nut or at the very least a double nut set up. A single nut like that will work loose unless you blue loctite it

A number of things to do to keep it tight.

Thanks, Rick

Yeah, a nyloc would certainly make more sense. Thanks. 

• Solution
8 minutes ago, Senna27 said:

do those torque specs apply regardless of the type of bearing/upper support mount one has? As you can see, mine is not stock.  

Yes. Torques refers to threads - what they can endure. Your bearings inner race can take many times more force than that shaft/tread can take. She’ll be alright.

nylock is good choise. I use em. Rear shocks has double nuts.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, tzei said:

Yes. Torques refers to threads - what they can endure. Your bearings inner race can take many times more force than that shaft/tread can take. She’ll be alright.

nylock is good choise. I use em. Rear shocks has double nuts.

That makes sense, thanks. I'll use a nyloc and leave the lock-washer there for good measure. One more problem solved. 😊

Edited by Senna27