• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help! Issues since LED headlight conversion on 1968 1600-2

RoulerCo

Hi there! I’m having an issue getting my car to start. It does crank but it won’t start up.

So over the weekend I decided I wanted to swap out my old H4 lamps in my 1968 1600-2 and replace them for some new LED round lamps I found online.

I quickly noticed that the headlamps only have 1 socket to fix the wiring harness to the headlamps and so I plugged it in and taped the leftover wire connectors (which are for Day time running lights) to prevent any sparks.
Since I added these new lights my car turns but doesn’t start and I’m really confused. Like I said, wires and electrics are not anything I know about, so any answers need to be dumbed down 😅

Would the new headlamps be causing this issue, do I need to make sure the wiring from the car is connected to complete a full circuit. Or would the new headlamps not be the problem?

The wiring in the images isn’t the best. I think the previous owner did this so don’t be too offended by what you are looking at 😜

Old lamps

E4EA3267-7E4A-4F64-8312-5840BDD6B2DA.thumb.jpeg.17f40763855619273fe3c53eccda6259.jpeg

New lamps with taped ends. Old Brown and yellow wires not connected to anything and also taped ends

F9900BB0-EA85-44D3-B5AA-536B075034FB.thumb.jpeg.1515404af6cad569480a2102e6fccf2c.jpeg

any help would be massively appreciated!

Thanks

Edited by RoulerCo

Unplug both headlights and try starting the car.  If it still doesn't start then the problem is elsewhere in the ignition.  Other issues happen at the most unpredictable times and it may not be the headlights.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Are the headlights themselves working?

And do the ignition warning lights (oil pressure and volts)  come on when you turn on the ignition?  If they're dead, then the problem lies in the unfused portion of your wiring harness, which on your car includes the ignition, starter and headlights.  BTW, in the original wiring harness, un-striped wires are not fused, and brown wires are grounds.

On a '68 (and all 6 fuse 02s) the headlights are not fused, and while it seems unlikely that swapping headlights could cause a no-start situation, stranger things have happened.  With the headlights plugged in but not on, you should unlimber your voltmeter and see if you have +12 volts at the big red wire on the back of your ignition switch.  That will tell you that current is reaching the switch.  Then connect your voltmeter to the + terminal on the coil.  If you have volts there, the ignition is getting power.  Finally, connect your voltmeter first to the big thick wire at the starter, and the to the small wire on the solenoid, and have someone turn the key to start.  Do you have volts at both locations?  Now try the same procedure with the headlights on.

The above test, plus disconnecting the new headlights, will tell you if the headlights are causing the problem.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, jimk said:

Unplug both headlights and try starting the car.  If it still doesn't start then the problem is elsewhere in the ignition.  Other issues happen at the most unpredictable times and it may not be the headlights.

Thanks for responding! I'll give this a try and see if it resolves the problem

1 hour ago, Mike Self said:

Are the headlights themselves working?

And do the ignition warning lights (oil pressure and volts)  come on when you turn on the ignition?  If they're dead, then the problem lies in the unfused portion of your wiring harness, which on your car includes the ignition, starter and headlights.  BTW, in the original wiring harness, un-striped wires are not fused, and brown wires are grounds.

On a '68 (and all 6 fuse 02s) the headlights are not fused, and while it seems unlikely that swapping headlights could cause a no-start situation, stranger things have happened.  With the headlights plugged in but not on, you should unlimber your voltmeter and see if you have +12 volts at the big red wire on the back of your ignition switch.  That will tell you that current is reaching the switch.  Then connect your voltmeter to the + terminal on the coil.  If you have volts there, the ignition is getting power.  Finally, connect your voltmeter first to the big thick wire at the starter, and the to the small wire on the solenoid, and have someone turn the key to start.  Do you have volts at both locations?  Now try the same procedure with the headlights on.

The above test, plus disconnecting the new headlights, will tell you if the headlights are causing the problem.

mike

Thanks for responding Mike! I'll try unplugging the lights and see if it changes anything. If not, i'll invest in a volt meter at the weekend 

3 minutes ago, RoulerCo said:

i'll invest in a volt meter at the weekend 

Harbor Freight has a serviceable multimeter for $6-7 -- less when they're on sale.  An indispensable tool for elderly cars--especially those like our '02s with unfused circuits and those cartridge fuses.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

57 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

Harbor Freight has a serviceable multimeter for $6-7 -- less when they're on sale.  An indispensable tool for elderly cars--especially those like our '02s with unfused circuits and those cartridge fuses.

mike

I’m in the UK but I’m sure I’ll find something similar 😄👍👍