engine swap needed for 1975 2002A in South Bend IN

dcp14

32 minutes ago, dcp14 said:

Thanks guys …. I’m interested in the 70 Agave 02 engine if it’s available.  How can I get more info about it?

Dave P

Did you see the post?  Contact member "davidhayes":

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/profile/57740-davidhayes/

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/309708-parting-out-‘70-agave-02-‘76-sahara-02-other-parts/

Not much going on engine wise on Ebay cept this:

s-l400.jpg
WWW.EBAY.COM

<p>Bmw E21 M10 4 Cylinder Engine. Condition is Used. This engine was removed from my 1983 320i sports engine is in good running condition with 257,087 miles . I am willing to work with you if you want your shipping company to pick it up. Check my...

Seller says its out of his 83 E21 sport but is fitted with a carb, Maybe a 2L that was fitted.

$1400 for an unverified engine with 257K. Wowsa

I would never pay that unless seller could start it up and verify compression and oil pressure at a minimum.

Buying so-called running M10s is a gamble with the odds stacked heavily against you, I have rolled snake eyes 2 out of 3 times.

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

Thanks for the input tech71!

I found this on the web ...... he responded to me and wants $1250 for the engine in the link and also is selling a "complete stock rebuild for $2250.  Is this guy a total scammer, or what?

I got all excited at first but then thought about it some more.... seems too good to be true.

Thoughts?

I have this one:
https://www.bmw-all-parts.com/v-bmw-m10-engine-m10m05-mo5-2-0-l-120-hp-90-kw-167nm-bore-89-mm-stroke-80-mm-1965-1976-2002-2000-11347

It was out of a 1976 2002,
It is a long block.
There is no in take or carbs; so can be fitted to EFI or naturally aspirated set-up

Long block
Oil Pan, crankcase and head

The unit is shrink wrapped and on a skid.
We would ship to:

YRC Freight Yard
1415 S Olive St, South Bend, IN 46619, United States
HOLD FOR PICK-UP

You would need a van or pick-up truck to have them load it.

$1,250 delivered.

cleardot.gif

2 hours ago, dcp14 said:

Thanks for the input tech71!

I found this on the web ...... he responded to me and wants $1250 for the engine in the link and also is selling a "complete stock rebuild for $2250.  Is this guy a total scammer, or what?

I got all excited at first but then thought about it some more.... seems too good to be true.

Thoughts?

I have this one:
https://www.bmw-all-parts.com/v-bmw-m10-engine-m10m05-mo5-2-0-l-120-hp-90-kw-167nm-bore-89-mm-stroke-80-mm-1965-1976-2002-2000-11347

It was out of a 1976 2002,
It is a long block.
There is no in take or carbs; so can be fitted to EFI or naturally aspirated set-up

Long block
Oil Pan, crankcase and head

The unit is shrink wrapped and on a skid.
We would ship to:

YRC Freight Yard
1415 S Olive St, South Bend, IN 46619, United States
HOLD FOR PICK-UP

You would need a van or pick-up truck to have them load it.

$1,250 delivered.

cleardot.gif

Website looks terrible but that doesn't mean much. I wouldn't give them money unless it's via a method (paypal Goods and Services, for example) that protects you in the event of them ghosting you. I also would want extensive documentation. Compression numbers for each cylinder, leakdown test, oil pressure, etc etc per Tech71's reply above. 

Edited by popovm
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, dcp14 said:

Is this guy a total scammer, or what?

Hard to say

16 hours ago, popovm said:

Thoughts?

My position on used "Ran when pulled"or "ran when parked" engines is pretty unyielding.

Ran when pulled means nothing, Want me to believe its a serviceable engine? Then prove it by starting it up(in car or on run stand) and back up  that claim.

At the very least have some time stamped video of it running  and a compression check along with no frame break shot of the VIN.

Anything else is just a $350 core.

Granted, there are exceptions to this but anything second party i.e " was told it ran yada yada",  No freakin way.

I think you should bite the bullet and get an overhauled engine or overhaul it yourself.

Speaking of run stands... I'm going to build one. Slap something together probably utilizing a spare front subframe and some sort of wheeled cart. It will be fun to see how cheaply I can put something together.

Edited by tech71
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, tech71 said:

Hard to say

My position on used "Ran when pulled"or "ran when parked" engines is pretty unyielding.

Ran when pulled means nothing, Want me to believe its a serviceable engine? Then prove it by starting it up(in car or on run stand) and back up  that claim.

At the very least have some time stamped video of it running  and a compression check along with no frame break shot of the VIN.

Anything else is just a $350 core.

Granted, there are exceptions to this but anything second party i.e " was told it ran yada yada",  No freakin way.

I think you should bite the bullet and get an overhauled engine or overhaul it yourself.

Speaking of run stands... I'm going to build one. Slap something together probably utilizing a spare front subframe and some sort of wheeled cart. It will be fun to see how cheaply I can put something together.

This! All of that makes 100% sense when buying an engine. 

It would be cool to see you put together an engine stand. I don't think I've seen an M10 running on a stand before.