More issues with the Getrag 245

pd_55

So I got my Getrag 245 5-speed in with my motor swap a couple months ago and everything seemed to be dry shifting fine, after I changed my shifter. Finally got it out for a road test and that's where things got questionable. As I went through the gears, I went 4th to 5th and it was actually 3rd. Trying the pattern, there is a definite difference between 3rd and 5th, meaning it's "down and over". But it is clearly 3rd when driving. And there is a "6th" gear, meaning that I can go "up and over" from 4th to what seems to be another gear, but again it's only 4th.

Does anyone know what this could be about? Again, it's clear that it's going into where 5th should be. And it did go into 5th with the old shifter, it was just very difficult. As always, any imparted knowledge is appreciated.

Paul

7 hours ago, pd_55 said:

it's clear that it's going into where 5th should be

How do you know that? Seems clear it’s not going  into where 5th should be. 
You changed your shifter?with what?

Clearance/binding issues somewhere in the linkage, seems like it has to be. Possibly between the shift rod joint and whatever you are using as a platform

Edited by tech71

Yes post pics of your shifter setup as-installed. It is totally possible that the geometry being off is messing with the shift pattern. 5th is not "up and over," as far as the transmission is concerned- it's "twist clockwise and pull out." Depending on the geometry something totally different might be happening at the selector rod than you think.

Sorry, haven’t been able to get good pics, but I did ease off the set screws on the shifter and now 5th seems to engage, but it seems waaay over from 3rd. I’ve only ever had the 4 speed, so not sure if that is normal or not. 1st through 4th seem very close compared. Haven’t gone for a highway drive yet, but hoping it engages properly. Still needs to visit to the tuner in November, so don’t want to put too many miles on it before that.

Have a Coolerworx chassis mount shifter and seems to have enough play without binding, but need another body to so I can check it from underneath.

48 minutes ago, pd_55 said:

Have a Coolerworx chassis mount shifter and seems to have enough play without binding,

I googled them, okay then, forget anything I said.

Not sure about a fixed shift lever linked to components with a noticeable amount of relative movement (that varies with power application).

Good luck any way and make sure your engine/trans mounts are in good condition.

Edited by tech71
  • Like 2

coolerworx?

nerp, ditch it.  

Andrew and I will chase each other to the grave 

fighting about this (with nerf guns and pool noodles)

but shorten an early shifter, mount it to the back of the transmission,

and all will be well again.  By design, it ends up with a pretty short throw.

It works great. And it's 'vintage'!

t

5th gear on the 245 takes a HUMONGOUS amount of force to get into the gate-

you're probably just moving the engine.  Reverse is pretty much the same...

@2002iii I do have poly AKG motor and trans mounts, not the “race” hardness,  but certainly stiffer than HD rubber.

The only thing that I needed to customize on the shifter was to shim it up about 3/8” as it had the DSSR angled down so it wasn’t level. A long test drive will help me dial it in better and find out if 5th engages correctly. Just didn’t know if I was missing something with the 245. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

@kine8282 My issue started when I went from the factory 4 spd to the Getrag 245 5 spd. With the AKG, it was ordered for the 4 spd, so not sure if there are any differences with the shifter itself for a 5 spd. I know the DSSR length is different.

What I saw was that there was some binding between the shaft and lower body of the shifter when it needed to go far left into reverse and far right for 5th. But again, when I had the 4 spd, there were no issues with the AKG.

Gotcha. In my research to try and fix my problem. I ran into info on the detent spring plunger sometimes being out of alignment especially when going into reverse. I dunno. Worth a try in your situation. Mine is that my tranny isn’t in neutral. It might be the AKG shifter being out of alignment but it’s definitely a puzzling problem. Good luck, I’ll be keeping an eye on this post

@kine8282 You have to drop the tranny for that detent pin, I think. If you take out the 3 bolts holding the shifter in and get it in neutral, it should sit nice and align itself. Then maybe drill new mounting holes? 

My issue seems to be sorted now. I had to move the shifter around and adjust the limiting screws that are on the shifter. Goes into gear now.

• Like 1