2002 Transmission Gear Oil Type/Weight?

Yoda

Hello,

I know this question has been asked, and I do know the answer, but I wanted to ask if what I was told by a rebuilder (2002AD) is true. Does redline MTL destroy Getrag transmissions? I just bought a rebuilt 4 speed, and I searched all over the forums for the correct oil weight/type/brand for the manual transmissions. I read that redline was one of the better choices, so I picked up two quarts and filled up my new transmission. The rear output shaft seal immediately started to leak, which might be cause of the redline oil, or it could've been a bad seal from the get-go. When I asked the rebuilder for some help, they told me since I filled it with the redline MTL, they can't (won't) fix the transmission, because redline is known to destroy transmissions. They acted as if this was common knowledge.

So is this common knowledge? From everything I've read on here and in the BMW blue book, 75w-80 gear oil is perfectly safe, and I made sure the oil I bought was GL-4 as well. The rebuilder told me they only use Autozone 80w90 GL-5 gear oil, which sounds wrong just based on the fact that it is GL-5. 

Also, the oil didn't seep out of the output shaft seal, it dripped quite a bit when being lifted into position to place in the car. I'm assuming this is not because the oil is breaking down the seal, rather that the seal is not working as intended.

Anyways, I'm trying to gather information to try and fight their claim that I destroyed my newly rebuilt 4 speed. If I'm in the wrong, that's understandable and I have learned an expensive lesson. I attached pictures of the oil they recommend and the oil I picked up at the store. Also attached the pictures of where I read 75w-80 GL-4 is safe for the transmissions in the 2002.

Thanks for your help,

Chris

If this is in the wrong forum location, I can repost it the correct area. Just let me know.

For people reading this in the future, the shop was 2002AD.

Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 12.44.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 12.45.14 AM.png

IMG_0113.JPG

IMG_0114.JPG

IMG_0112.JPG

Edited by Yoda
Added Shop Information

1 hour ago, zinz said:

Your transmission shop is full of it. Redline has been used in countless transmissions without problems. 

The seal has failed if it’s leaking that badly...

My $0.02...? Find a different transmission shop. 

Ed Z

+1  I'd go to a different shop.  I just finished replacing my fluids with Redline and am very happy.

• Like 1

Do you really think Redline would continue to make a product that was known to "destroy transmissions" when the product was clearly made for transmissions?  They'd be out of business by now, law-suited to bankrupcy.  

Just a guess as to your shop's (incorrect) statement.  That nasty smelly hypoid gear oil that's meant for differentials will in fact attack bronze or brass metal--commonly used for synchros.  So you never use hypoid oil in a tranny or anyplace else with brass innards. 

Back in the last century when I worked at a Renault/Peugeot dealership, we had a special differential oil that we used both in Peugeot differentials--which were worm drive with a huge bronze gear, and Renault transaxles, which had brass synchros in the same oil as the differential.  Wasn't standard hypoid oil so didn't attack those brass/bronze parts. 

mike

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Yoda said:

to ask if what I was told by a rebuilder is true. Does redline MTL destroy Getrag transmissions?

Like to see this rebuilder produce one scrap of quantifiable evidence to support that claim.

What do they recommend? Heavier weight perhaps to hold together their crappy rebuilds?

Or maybe they are an authorized distributor to a competing product.

Pure drivel.

Edited by tech71
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mike Self said:

Just a guess as to your shop's (incorrect) statement.  That nasty smelly hypoid gear oil that's meant for differentials will in fact attack bronze or brass metal--commonly used for synchros.  So you never use hypoid oil in a tranny or anyplace else with brass innards. 

mike

"don't cross the streams" 

It could be that your shop may have confused or got mixed up between a GL-4 and GL-5. 

GL-4 Trans, GL-5 diff

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John76 said:

Does fully synthetic GL-5 have the sulfur content that ruins brass/bronze parts in a trans?

Go to your parts shop and start opening caps and sniffing :rolleyes:.  Without suffering the embarrassing beating by the store manager, yes, they have the smell because it's that additive that plates onto gear surfaces and is worn away by the hypoid gear patterns.

Amsoil MTF is what I use in my trans and Severe Gear in the diff.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for replying! I appreciate it. I thought that the shops claim was BS, but the shop is pretty well known to the 2002 community so I thought they would be telling the truth. The owner said they only fill their transmissions with Autozone branded 80w90 gear oil, which only comes in GL-5. They asked me to refill the transmission with the Autozone branded oil, but I'm a little hesitant due to the GL-5 grade and the possibility of making the transmission worse down the line. 

I think I will hold off on replacing the oil inside and replace the rear output shaft seal myself. Doesn't seem like they plan on helping me out anyways.

Edited by Yoda
Spelling

Hello, just wanted to update the thread in case anyone was following. The shop (2002AD) pretty much said I’m out of luck after using redline, but wanted me to send pictures of where the transmission was leaking from so they could send pictures to their rebuilder. I wanted to investigate myself where the leak was coming from, and I found out my transmission is using the coarse spline, and it’s very loose. Is this normal? Doesn’t seem like it was rebuilt at all. I’m very frustrated with my experience with their shop.

Does anyone know of a good rebuilder in Northern California? Or have a good lead on a used fine spline 4 speed? I have another 4 speed but it doesn’t spin in any gear, even though you can shift through all the gears. In neutral it’s locked together but spins in opposite directions.

Thanks for your help.

I attached a video that shows the looseness. It wasn’t pressed on at all, I could pull the flange off immediately after taking the nut off, no puller needed.

• Sad 1

Well, they sent you a worn- out transmission as 'rebuilt' and then

specified the wrong 

The owner said they only fill their transmissions with Autozone branded 80w90 gear oil, which only comes in GL-5.

oil.

To quote some words from a movie 

they're dead to me

and it's time to move on.

Because MTL doesn't make your rear splines wear out,

and GL5 DOES (over a long time, true) cause the brass synchros

to degrade.  

I took apart a parts transmission a long time ago where the 

synchro of the engaged gear was glued to the friction surface of the

mating gear, and getting it loose broke the synchro apart...

So nope, 

in the opinion of this internet keyboard jockey,

bzzzzzzzt.

Thanks for playing.

t

• Like 3