Footwell insulation

Dovestal

Go to solution Solved by Mike Self,

• Solution

Household carpet padding.  Just make sure it won't hold water.  It's cheap (scraps are usually free at a carpet store or a neighbor who's having new carpet installed).  Been using it for many years and it works very well.  

And you can eliminate a lot of road noise by packing the space under the back seat cushion with insulation:  closed cell foam, styrofoam cut to fit, even styrofoam peanuts in sturdy plastic bags.  You'd be amazed how much driveshaft and diff noise is magnified inside that empty space--it makes a great sound box when empty.

mike

Part of the task will be determined by whether you have the multi-piece carpets as used on a roundie (or purchased from Esty) or the one piece molded carpet as used in squarelights.  

IIRC  I simply laid the padding along the firewall, and then placed the carpet over it.  the carpet is heavy and rigid enough to hold the padding in place.  But you can certainly run a line of adhesive along the upper edge to keep it from shifting downards.  

mike

• Like 1

It’s a 1976 and it didn’t have the carpet when I bought it. So it’s good to know I need a one piece carpet when the time comes. Another question I have is , do you have a preferred vendor or vendors that you like? I’m going to need a few things!

Doug.

2 hours ago, Dovestal said:

It’s a 1976...

Unless you are going for a concurs, use Esty's carpet. She is on here. Much easier install, looks much cleaner. really good prices, and made in the USA. She also has many colors to choose from.

When you talk about the firewall, you mean cabin side, not engine side, right?

Edited by m42002
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dovestal said:

Yes , the inside. How do I find Etsy?

Username = @esty

Agreeing with @m42002, unless you are dedicated to originality in all components — which, for any square tailllight car, would include one-piece carpet — esty’s carpet sets represent a substantial upgrade over the crap BMW was installing during the 1974-76 model years.

Regards,

Steve