WHO'S IS THIS!!!! TURBO Palm Springs

martinsmith

16 minutes ago, Leucadian said:

Lots of exotic cars around San Diego are "from Montana"...no vehicle sales tax there.  

That’s interesting, I wonder where they are insured? I assume Montana has much lower rates. You see that a lot around New England, people register their cars where their summer home is (VT, NH) because of lower rates. I think it’s penny wise and pound foolish.   Probably not an issue in a fender bender, but if you run down a pedestrian and have $1 million claim against you, the insurance company will be looking to see where you principally  garage the vehicle, and possibly deny the claim.  Tom

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bluehills2002 said:

That’s interesting, I wonder where they are insured? I assume Montana has much lower rates. You see that a lot around New England, people register their cars where their summer home is (VT, NH) because of lower rates. I think it’s penny wise and pound foolish.   Probably not an issue in a fender bender, but if you run down a pedestrian and have $1 million claim against you, the insurance company will be looking to see where you principally  garage the vehicle, and possibly deny the claim.  Tom

Apparently some insurance companies will insure a car that is garaged in one state and insured in another.  There are dozens of threads on Rennlist.com about who to contact, how to set up your LLC, who to insure, etc.  Seems like one would just need to do their research.

Ultimately, it's become so common in California that they've setup an anonymous reporting system to report abuse of out of state plates.  Bottom line, if you don't get caught, it's relatively painless.  But if you do...the costs will most likely outweigh the benefits.  

At first I thought it was a customer's car, his also has a Montana plate, but not on top of a German plate . . . .

Some municipalities in CA such as Malibu have been cracking down on the Montanta plate thing. If the cops know you are a local resident and they see your fancy collector car parked all around town with Montana or other out-of-state plates, they will write you an expensive ticket. They will get their money somehow!

• Like 1