EBAY - Targeted Adds or International Fame?

AceAndrew

On 9/30/2022 at 10:04 PM, John76 said:

It is scary to see how our browsing is tracked and targeted. 

Big Brother (or Big Sister) is watching!!!

Not just browsing!  Amazon Alexa and Dot listening all the time for key words and phrases.  I’ve come across targeted FB and YT things the next day after discussing them with family and friends😳.

For example, while staying at my parent’s house last week (no electronic assistants), my father lamented not seeing any more episodes of “This Old House” on PBS. When I came home, a FB ad (“suggested for you”) came in my feed for new episodes of This Old House on PBS. I didn’t search for anything on the web..

• Sad 1

here are all, or most of the ad servers and/or trackers used on FAQ

bmw2002faq.com
uploads.bmw2002faq.com
www.bmw2002faq.com
2002faq.myshopify.com
ajax.googleapis.com
d2um9aptpsgwwp.cloudfront.net
uploads.bmw2002faq.com
facebook.net
connect.facebook.net
fonts.googleapis.com
googletagmanager.com
www.googletagmanager.com
gstatic.com
fonts.gstatic.com
invisioncic.com
live.invisioncic.com
powerad.ai
shopify.com
cdn.shopify.com
shopifycdn.com
sdks.shopifycdn.com
shopifysvc.com
monorail-edge.shopifysvc.com
shops.myshopify.com
2002faq.myshopify.com

there are an abundance of ways to block any or all of the above but blocking some may break the page

2 hours ago, jgerock said:

Not just browsing!  Amazon Alexa and Dot listening all the time for key words and phrases.  I’ve come across targeted FB and YT things the next day after discussing them with family and friends😳.

For example, while staying at my parent’s house last week (no electronic assistants), my father lamented not seeing any more episodes of “This Old House” on PBS. When I came home, a FB ad (“suggested for you”) came in my feed for new episodes of This Old House on PBS. I didn’t search for anything on the web..

Which is why i use sentence "gåy p0rn" often near friends phones. Especially when left unattended :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Yes, it's a thing. By using smartphones and other such "smart" devices, or doing anything online, you are essentially agreeing to all of this. I find it annoying, but it's not a big problem if one isn't doing anything nefarious online :)

The extent of this became clear to me about 5-6 years ago, a customer had invited me and some other friends to his house, and we were enjoying some nice Japanese whiskeys after dinner. Once I got home, I was getting ads for Japanese whiskey on Instagram and whatnot. Which is hilarious because, although I enjoy whiskey from time to time, I have never in my life looked up whiskey online nor do I follow any such accounts, let alone Japanese-made varieties! We all had our smartphones at the dinner table, so obviously they were "listening" to us.

By keeping my online life to cars, dogs/cats and beer, I am fed ads for those things, and it is mostly OK. I am happy to pay companies a small fee to not have ads, but you know they are somehow tracking your data in any case. I am not arguing that we should all roll over and take it no matter what, just that unless you are willing to either pay money for ad-free versions of things or to shirk entirely the modern digital "smart" device/internet lifestyle, this will be ongoing.