m42 dipstick popped out while driving need advice

M4202

My m42s dipstick popped out, I checked its not producing white smoke , or down on power , or excess oil consumption , or oil in the intake , so its either the pcv valve or the dipstick gasket rings are bad , before i replace the dipstick , i wanted to test  the pcv valve  is a healthy pcv valve if i open the oil fill on the valve cover is it supposed to be pushing out or sucking in ? And what does a  bad pcv valve suck in or push air out ?  Also where is the location of the  pcv valve on this engine? I cant seem to find it online .

Thank you for you time .

(My 02 has A M42 swap from a 1991 318 is)

Edited by M4202
Clarification

We have a '91 318iS and I don't believe there is one on this engine. 

A lot of hoses however, especially if you haven't fixed the "mess under the intake" as it's called. 

WHen you say it popped out, you mean it keeps popping out every time you push it back in? I'd start with the oil dipstick seal, may just be loose?

Jason

Took the car on the highway for the first time , lots of high rpm for a while like 4 plus  for minutes at a time , parked it . The next day there was some oil underneath the car and the dipstick was half way out checked down the street and was dripping oil as far as i could see .  Any ideas Im trying to diagnose the issue before i point the parts cannon at it .

This thread mentions crankcase ventilation but isn't specific: 

WWW.BIMMERFORUMS.COM

Well since I traded cars a few months ago I've been coming across some small issues with my car the old owner didn't tell me about one being some how and some way my dip stick pops out under a have load and will result in the car idle and running funny what may cause this...

• Like 1

I found some good things out and some bad things . Good things the only m42s that had pcv valves were from 1/94 to the end of the production run. Mines a 91 so no pcv valve , will post proof document on that later next week or so  .  I used my Endo scope to look at the valve cover  breather port open, upper intake breather clear too , will post pictures when i post other docs .

Who ever did the " mess under the intake delete " on this motor ,half a**ed it  deleted the heater plate but not the mess of vacuum lines under the intake which there's a huge leak i think in the vacuum system because of that  will pull the intakes off and confirm ,but i think the coolant hose was rerouted properly . Also there's a vacuum hose that runs from the valve cover to the upper intake breather hole , and there like a reverse flow block off fitting i think that's whats in there , well i think i found my problem , that's getting deleted for a catch can . Any recommendations for a catch can for this set up ?

Also i learned the proper way to route those hoses is from the valve cover to the throttle body , and from the icv end to the upper intake breather .

On a side note could i modify the header to make it easier to find for the next guy dealing with this problem ?

adding the dipstick popping out part  so the next person could easily find this ?

9 hours ago, M4202 said:

On a side note could i modify the header to make it easier to find for the next guy dealing with this problem ?

adding the dipstick popping out part  so the next person could easily find this ?

Click the three dots (...) on your first post (I suppose) and edit the subject line.

Cheers,

Hey, I found a pair of grips in the junkyard just the other day.

Shall I send them to you?

They're not a full circle, tho, only Crescent...

t

has several M42's, but they're post 1-94 so have EGR passageways.

Also has an oil filler cap modified for a gauge becaus also has

M54s with their... special qualities.

3 hours ago, TobyB said:

Hey, I found a pair of grips in the junkyard just the other day.

Shall I send them to you?

They're not a full circle, tho, only Crescent...

t

has several M42's, but they're post 1-94 so have EGR passageways.

Also has an oil filler cap modified for a gauge becaus also has

M54s with their... special qualities.

I need to get around to emailing Irwin regarding my little Vise Grips of which I broke the release arm. I assume they are warranted forever...

Cheers,

• M4202 changed the title to m42 dipstick popped out while driving need advice