Steering shaft won’t budge

pd_55

I had this issue a couple years back and figured it out. But can’t seem to recall it now. Refreshing a leaking steering box, but not able to get the steering shaft to move back to move/remove the coupler. I have a solid steering coupler,  so the shaft does need to move back a few inches to remove it. From what I remember, the only thing holding it in place was the coupler, but is there anything else on the column that needs to be loosened to get the shaft to move back? Maybe someone can help jog my memory. Thanks.

Are you trying to split the steering shaft around the normally rubber guibo? If so you remove the lock bolts from either side of the guibo and then beat on the sliding collar to get it to slide away. Make sure you completely remove the lock bolts as the shaft is keyed for the bolt and wont slide with the bolt installed.

@Stevenc22 So I had swapped out the guibo for a solid, universal joint style coupler. I removed the set screws and it slides easy on both shafts, but I can’t move the upper shaft into the cabin. I know there is the bracket just after the firewall, but that shouldn’t hold the shaft tight. Doesn’t seem to be anything that holds the inner shaft securely except the guibo/coupler. Does it just need to be hammered harder to get it to move?

@tzei No dice on the shaft moving with everything loosened. To clarify, I’m just wanting the actual steering shaft/rod to be able to be moved back. I don’t need to remove the column or tube that shaft is in. I’m completely stumped on why it wouldn’t be free. I didn’t want to go down to road of dismantling the whole column area, but maybe that’s what’s needed? It should move freely once it’s properly loose, correct?

Do the (2) bolts under the column assembly need to be completely removed or can they just be loose? I’ve removed them before and it can be a challenge getting them back in. With them out, the entire assembly is free from the dash.

@jimk The solid coupler is actually much easier to maintain, but does require the shaft to be able to be moved unfortunately. So much like every other modification I’ve done, always adds some extra complexity. Sounds like the bolts will come out and will move it the difficult way.

Thanks all. I did need to pull the (2) bolts holding the column assembly and pull everything back as one. Now trying the get the nut off that holds the steering arm to the box. I should have taken it off while everything was still on the car though. Might have made it easier.

Now to the box reseal. This and the shifter install and those should be the last items to make it mostly roadworthy….hopefully. Thanks for all the advice.

Paul