Gearbox bellhousing to steering linkage clearance (Ev conv.)

mjstead

Go to solution Solved by Mike G,

Remember the first BMW 1602 e - ie the electric version produced in 1972? I have recreated this with an EV conversion to recognise the 50th anniversary 

My question is - what is the standard clearance between the bell housing and steering linkage?

With my EV conversion, the gearbox is slightly lower than stock. This has reduced the steering linkage clearance to the bell housing. I am trying to work out what it was before the ICE was removed. This is important because the certifying engineers need clearance between the two components.

I have attached a photo showing the area of concern. 

For more information see: 

img_6295-jpg.120490
WWW.DIYELECTRICCAR.COM

Dear DIY EV community, I am working on a conversion to create a BMW 2002e in celebration of the first electric BWM from 1972. My aim is to meet the 50th anniversary of this visionary vehicle in...

IMG_6659.jpeg

@TobyB Thanks and that was my guesstimate. I can grind out the bell housing a bit to say gain 6 mm at the closest point. 

3 minutes ago, TobyB said:

Not Very F*#$ing Much

is the stock measurement.  To my eye, what you're showing is at least as good as stock-

however, it's hard to tell from your pic if you're straight ahead or at lock.  If you have that much

throughout the entire travel, you're golden.

t

E9 won't work, have a 2002 and an E9 one on my shelf and the E9 is about 2 1/2 " longer,   guess that you could cut a section out of it, run a sleeve on the inside and tig weld it back together.          Can you not raise the engine EV up a bit along with the trans?      Hah-hah   cut 10 mm off the bottom of the bell housing!!

Thanks, Rick

On 9/26/2022 at 11:14 PM, stephers said:

E9 won't work, have a 2002 and an E9 one on my shelf and the E9 is about 2 1/2 " longer,   guess that you could cut a section out of it, run a sleeve on the inside and tig weld it back together.          Can you not raise the engine EV up a bit along with the trans?      Hah-hah   cut 10 mm off the bottom of the bell housing!!

Thanks, Rick

Thanks Rick. 

The EV motor stack is higher than the BMW 2.0L ICE. Unfortunately, I can't shim it up as it will hit the bonnet. 

Edited by mjstead

Not yet mentioned is checking the angle of your drive unit.

If it's straight, lifting just the transmission tail housing will angle the front u- joint,

which is actually a rubber guibo, and will lead to shortened guibo life.

But if it's low, then you'd want to raise it anywho.  Given that the front of the

bell's closer to the engine than the trans mount, so any movement of the

mount will only gain you a little at the bell.

Have you posted details on your conversion?  I recently found an EV1 (!!!!!) drive unit,

and am now eyeing the E21 that's been sitting in the back of the barn, thinking about

trying again.  I tried 20 years ago with a GE DC motor, but the packaging

and weight and fabrication and rust on the donor and kid and life (and racing)

inertia'd me out of it...

t

RWD FTW!