Hazard light switches--6 tab vs. 8 tab

Zoeydebord

Hey there,

I needed a new hazard light button/switch for my 74 Euro car. There was only one option available which has 8 tabs, but when I pulled the old harness out it has only 6 slots (and the old button has 6 tabs accordingly).

Is there a separate part number I should be searching? (Can't find it on Realoem.com...)

Many thanks, Larry

8 hours ago, John76 said:

Your 6-tab button probably has something to do with the European spec for illuminating turn signals when parked.

Actually the lights that are illuminated (left and right) for on-street parking in Europe are the front parking light and tail light on their respective sides.  They are selected by the turn signal lever, but through a separate set of wires.  At least 72 and 73 US cars have this feature too--not sure about squarelights, but I do know the earlier cars don't.  

I did a column on troubleshooting/dismantling/repairing the pushbutton emergency flasher switch; if that'll help you, PM me.

mike

14 hours ago, Mike Self said:

At least 72 and 73 US cars have this feature too--not sure about squarelights,

Thanks Mike!

Curiosity about the 12-Fuse Roundies finally got the better of me.

Looking over the wiring schematic revealed substantial changes for the square-lights. I always thought they were basically similar with just a few wire color differences. Wow was I wrong!!  Big difference... especially how the grounds were improved on the later models.

As soon as my eyes recover, I will sketch a few circuits for the earlier cars.

John

5 hours ago, John76 said:

Curiosity about the 12-Fuse Roundies finally got the better of me.

Looking over the wiring schematic revealed substantial changes for the square-lights.

The giveaway for this "European on street parking light" feature is the left and right parking and tail lights being on different fuses...

You can hook up this feature on the pre-modell 71 cars with a little extra wiring...someone figured this out (think it was Dave Hoovler) but I've not tried it on my '69.  Yet.

mike