• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New wiring harness

Jeff Zanassi

First question to ask yourself:  Do I need a whole new harness, or are there just certain sections that need replacing--or just a few wires.  As was pointed out, there are many different harnesses for '02s, depending on year, fuel system, US or Euro versions--left or right hand drive, even some special versions for Italy, Sweden and Japan.  Even with the exact version your your particular car, running a new harness is not an easy job.  Much easier to buy a bunch of different colored wire to match the colors used on the car, unlimber your soldering iron and shrink tubing, and repair the one you have.  

With a detailed wiring diagram for your car (and they are available) it'll be time consuming, but not terribly difficult.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Building a wiring harness from individual wires has a very steepish learning curve, with the main ingredient being DOCUMENTATION.  My experience with an early 68 car is that there was not one available wiring diagram that was large enough to read and correct for my car.  Those too small to read, even with magnification, also had stuff that was wrong for my car in areas that were readable.   So, if you want to build your own, document every detail when removing the old harness from the car- what wire on what pin of what component of which size and color combination.  You will find a diagram that's close but not perfect if my experience is yours also.  Carefully cleaning grimy wires to enable actually determining the colors will be a tedious part of the process.  I gave up on attempting to re-do the original wiring harness and ended up with a hybrid solution- the wiring to the rear of the car from under the dashboard was in fine shape other than the grime, so I cleaned it and used it, adding some additional wires for custom features.  The under hood and in the dashboard wiring was in poor condition, and has been replaced with my own wiring, not using official BMW wires and colors, but carefully documented and of better quality wire materials.  I also redesigned the fuse structure and added underhood relays as in a more modern car, all of which added complication and time. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, calw said:

... adding some additional wires for custom features.  ...

Jesus Christ is this the understatement of the decade.

You guys really need to see his wiring harness. The car is beautiful, as is the wiring harness.  Saying he added some wiring is like saying my car has a couple parts from a newer car...

Hi Cal.  :)  Hope the new digs are treating you well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

On 9/17/2022 at 11:14 AM, AceAndrew said:

I believe Walloth and Nesch had some euro-spec harnesses.

On sale at the moment, 1973+

Mark92131

61111443173.jpg
WWW.WALLOTHNESCH.COM

Wiring complete for all sedan + targa models from 1973 up (not for touring-models) you need 1 for 1 car

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)