165R13 Tire Availability

Rakearch

I see Coker is out of stock on the XAS tires and Longstone may have them.  Have others recently found other brands that are available for the 2002's.  In California so an all weather is best.  Flalken or yokohama used to carry them but IM not seeing them now.  165 R 13 165 HR 13 or 165 80R 13 I believe are the correct size for 1975 2002 A.

Edited by Rakearch

A lot of us are running the Pirelli Cinturato CN36 185/70 R13 with good results.  They have intermittent availability, but you can pre-order and mine came fairly soon after I had ordered them .  I got mine from Lucas, others have gotten them from Longstone, I believe.  There are Vredesteins that are similar, I think.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnny02 said:

@Mike Self yes, you're right, but like you say, good luck finding anything in that size that you can trust, it seems. 

Well… there’s always the 165HR13 XAS, factory equipment on most U.S.-bound ‘02’s. Was expensive, now more expensive.

Still a great tire for an ‘02: rain or shine — but maybe not snow… 🙄

Photo below taken March 1978. The ‘76 is just back from its new nosepiece, bumper, right front fender repair. I refused to re-install the above-bumper fog lights until the replacement light guard was in place. The guards were a custom design created to stop parallel parkers from using my fog lights for “touch parking”. 🙄 And I’m guessing I didn’t install snow tires because the car spent two months at the body shop — waiting for the nosepiece and fender. The front spoiler lasted a month or two: My “driving style” and Northeastern roads demand maximum ground clearance! 👍

Regards,

Steve

1C245812-115B-4021-8CBD-133C28A55B38.jpeg

• Like 3

• Administrators

I run Michelin XAS on the Neue Klasse and love that tire. Looking at Longstone, my 14s are $70 cheaper then the 13s. That is big difference. 

image.jpeg

Per guys at @Longstone Tyres , the Pirelli tires should be available soon.

P.S. Shipping is across the pond has been fantastic for me. Things did not work once, last year, due to US Customs, but  the issue was quickly resolved by Longstone. So, about 80% of the time, i had my tires within a week, 20% of the time i had a the tires within a month, but still in time before my deadline.

Here is the page for your size

WWW.LONGSTONETYRES.CO.UK

165-13 the perfect tyres for the Ford Cortina. Get the best classic tyres from Longstone Tyres. Call +44 (0) 1302711123 for more information.

Steve 

• Like 1

Thanks all and @Original Owner.  I spoke with Don and he seemed very knowledgeable.  He recommended 175 70R 13 as the are same diameter and only 1/4" wider.  $350 vs $950 for XAS through Longstone.  I will reach out to the new owner and see which direction.  Love this Forum!

On 9/15/2022 at 7:49 PM, Rakearch said:

… He recommended 175 70R 13 as the are same diameter and only 1/4" wider…

Well… the 175/70/13 is nearly an inch smaller in diameter.

175/70/13 will work fine and is a “not uncommon” alternate size in recent history. But 185/70/13 is much closer in diameter and has always been a common upgrade. And between the $350 and the $950 lies the Pirelli CN36 in a 185/70/13 size. Although never factory installed like the XAS, the CN36 — besides being much closer to the 165/80’s diameter — is period correct in appearance and a measurable upgrade in roadholding.

Below, dimension comparisons for 165/80 to 175/70 (first photo) and 165/80 to 185/70 (second photo).

Just saying…

Regards,

Steve

AF32C90C-9AE2-4758-80FA-DAC6E6A19F4A.jpeg

F3A13C9C-832A-486F-9DE4-3733819A31F1.jpeg