Jump to content

Distributor 2002 turbo - BOSCH 0 231 168 026


02alpina
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello, 

 

Is it correct that BOSCH 0 231 180 014 was replaced by BOSCH 0 231 168 026 ? 
My car - nr. 972 has 0 231 168 026

Any difference between these ? 

 

I ask since I will go for a 123ignition 4-R-V switch and the spesifications just mention 0 231 180 014 ( curve nr 6 of 16 ) 
 

Any experience with 123ignition in 2002 Turbo

 

Thanks for any help on this 

 

 

252793440_10159602406632520_8746709793385651781_n.jpg

Edited by 02alpina
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have spent a lot of time on the dyno with a 1-2-3 distributor.  These engines want a lot of advance OFF BOOST.  It is easy to come up with a curve that works then use the Vac/Boost system to retard it back to a safe advance one it comes up on boost.  I’m happy to share info and even a couple of the MAPS I have been running.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/14/2022 at 4:49 AM, 02alpina said:

 

Any experience with 123ignition in 2002 Turbo

I also switched to the 123, using a custom curve similar to more modern M10 turbos.

I think those early mechanical dizzys were a technological compromise...and in my view the fabled performance lag of the 02turbo is, at least in part, due to the mech dizzy limitations.

Edited by dlacey
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/14/2022 at 4:49 AM, 02alpina said:

I will go for a 123ignition 4-R-V switch

I just realised you talk of the switched model:
https://123ignition.com/product/bmw-4-r-v/  curve 6

I know thats what it says on the website, but i dont believe those settings are anything like correct for a '02turbo.. (check against @Einspritz's graph in that post i referenced above)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With the 123 distributor I found that a stock turbo likes as much as 15 deg of advance as low as 1000 rpm and I run it up to 30 deg by 1800 rpm and then up to 35deg by 2500 rpm.  I then use the MAP scale to retard it 10 degrees under boost (their scale is based on kP) I ramp it down 10 degrees @156 on their scale.  My curve starts at 0 adv/retard at 100kP and goes to -10 degrees at 156kp.  I run 0 advance or retard under vacuum and rely totally on the "centrifugal" curve for my advance.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Preyupy said:

With the 123 distributor I found that a stock turbo likes as much as 15 deg of advance as low as 1000 rpm and I run it up to 30 deg by 1800 rpm and then up to 35deg by 2500 rpm.  I then use the MAP scale to retard it 10 degrees under boost (their scale is based on kP) I ramp it down 10 degrees @156 on their scale.  My curve starts at 0 adv/retard at 100kP and goes to -10 degrees at 156kp.  I run 0 advance or retard under vacuum and rely totally on the "centrifugal" curve for my advance.  

I’d be nervous with that much “mechanical” advance but the boost retard probably protects the engine under heavy throttle.  
 

I don’t have a knock sensor…

 

Greg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With a 6.9:1 compression ratio anytime you ARE NOT on boost it needs a lot of advance to be efficient. A NA engine with a 9.5:1 compression ratio and a 008 distributor is at 32-35 deg (depending on where you set it)  of advance anytime you are over 3200 rpm. I have run up to 40 deg off boost and it makes a big difference in lag time.  You just need to make sure you pull enough advance out of it to get back down to 25 deg by the time you are at 0.5bar of boost.   

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the information

- do I conlude that the switch version frome 123 -does not fit so well with it's pre installed curve for 2002 turbo

So, it would be better to buy the 123ignition Tune instead.  
I have never worked with "tuning" and MAP's - so that will be a new experience 🙂

Thanks 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 02alpina said:

Thank you all for the information

- do I conlude that the switch version frome 123 -does not fit so well with it's pre installed curve for 2002 turbo

So, it would be better to buy the 123ignition Tune instead.  
I have never worked with "tuning" and MAP's - so that will be a new experience 🙂

Thanks 
 

Good choice.  Start with matching stock curve and go from there. Programming is fairly easy once you learn the conversions and how you need to trick the distributor’s limitations. Well documented here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Upcoming Events

×
×
  • Create New...